Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 17 June 2003
I first read this in French for A level, forty years ago. I bought a copy in English, which has disappeared, and I rediscovered it in my local "tabac" about a year ago. It is a wonderful book, which every adult with average intelligence should read at least once in their lifetime.
The world from the perspective of the little prince is revealed in a way which is charming but not at all sentimental, and very thought-provoking if one allows oneself to be challenged.
I'm not saying any more than that - buy the book and discover it for yourself!
on 24 May 2010
Delightful story, full of insight, beautifully presented with author's watercolours. Bonus is the moderate pricing and the fast delivery for no extra charge!
on 17 October 2010
I read this book the first time some years ago in German, and it immediately touched my heart. At that time, I decided to buy a french copy too, even though I didn't know a single word of french. Now finally, I reread the book in its original version and I felt again the warm touch of its words, as warm as the simple observations little children often do. It has been a true pleasure for me to rediscover its simple message.
I read The Little Prince in French (Le Petit Prince) a long time ago, when I was a child and still dreaming that the world was without flaw. And I have always loved it, even as an adult, I have read it many times and to my relief, the magic has always been there, and the nostalgia too.

I hope the message in the Little Prince is not totally lost today, in this modern world, where children play on Ipads and xbox but do not how to look at a rose anymore (well, I hope some of them, some of us, still do).

This little book has some very important messages. St Exupéry, through the Little Prince says that basically, we only appreciate what we have once we lost it. The Petit Prince was too young to understand love, and therefore, went to see if the grass was greener the other side. Also, it shows that love is in the eye of the beholder, as when when The Little Prince finds himself in a rose garden, he realises that his rose was not unique, so, he become sad, but this discovery also gives birth to a sentiment of responsibility. His rose was selfish, extremely demanding but she did not know she was not unique. So, we also have a bit of pity here.
And we worry about unimportant things or things that have not happened. It is also the story of strong friendship (the silver fox).

The style of the book is very simple because it is primarily for children, but it is also for adults, to invite them to rediscover their inner child, or the child they were. Because, after all, and I loosely quote Antoine de St Exupéry, adults were children once but they have forgotten.

If, as an adult, you have not read The Little Prince, then please, do so. The drawings are beautiful too. And after all, what if the story of the Little Prince was simply a dream?

Or maybe, you will meet your own silver fox?

I have not read yet the English version but I have just bought it.
on 7 June 2010
words cannot describe the beauty and wisdom of that book. I read the translated version when I was a kid and now that I am fluent in French I decided to purchase the French version. It is one of the few books that can help me relax after a busy day and I am extremely happy to be able to read the exact words as the author intended them to be read when writing the text.
on 19 September 2010
I was really happy with my purchase. I needed tb book for school and it's perfect. It looks great the watercoulours are stunning. Plus I was able to rely on the sender to be efficient with the posting. The price and postage and packaging was fair. And I'm really happy with their service.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 28 January 2014
This a French classic which has charm, wonder and is well told.

It was, understandably, voted best book of the 20th century in France. It's also amazing that it continues to sell over a million copies every year.

The book is quite poetic, with watercolour illustrations by the author. The plot involves a pilot stranded in the sahara desert and he meets the prince. The story is also philosophical and remarks on the strangeness of the adult world. Which is as true today as it was when written.

My favourite bit? "On ne voit bien qu'avec le caeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux. ("One sees clearly only with the heart. What is essential is invisible to the eye.")

There are several versions of the book: Hardback, paperback, Kindle, folio, CD etc.

Some have bemoaned the quality of this folio edition, but my edition is lovely. (purchased Jan 2014)

I also purchased the audio separately and this does help with pronunciation. Le Petit Prince CD

Although once I had purchased them noted that a French/English edition is available which includes a CD. The Little Prince: A French/English Bilingual Reader (Includes audio CD) Which seems to be better value.
on 26 July 2014
I have always loved this story, particularly with the original illustrations by the author. It is sweet, gentle and ultimately sad. I have seen later editions with other artists' illustrations and they lack the sympathy with the subject that Saint-Exupéry's little drawings have. I chose the French Edition, because I read French well enough to appreciate it. My Kindle does not have colour, so I downloaded it to my iPad, where it can be better seen and appreciated. There is a computer game based on the story, which I bought for my grandson and which also has the original illustrations.
on 23 April 2010
This story is incredibly touching, inspirational and beautiful, and I will love it forever. It lets us experience our world from the viewpoint of the completely innocent, pure, wholesome and untainted Petit Prince - who is simultaneously sweet, humourous and adorable. Thus he helps to put life into perspective by compelling us to reconsider what is truly important. However, he does this in such an amusing, charming and original manner that we are hardly aware of the profound effect he has upon us until the end, when, "nothing in the universe will be the same if somewhere, we know not where, a sheep that we never saw has - yes or no? - eaten a rose".

As a student at AS level (Year 12) I found that I was able to understand the text without difficulty, although I did keep a dictionary near by, just in case. I wouldn't recommend it for beginners, but I suppose you could read it along side the english translation. As for understanding the story itself, a dictionary will be of no use; you must be prepared to read it through the eyes of the child within you.

It arrived in good time and condition, but I would highlight that the book is literally a "paper" back - not laminated or any thicker than the other pages (which in my opinion makes it even more special), so take extra care to look after it as the enchanting illustrations really are too wonderful to lose. A buy I certainly do not regret.
on 28 October 2013
I already owned this in proper book form but buying it on Kindle, to read on my iPad has an extravagance I have not regretted. I also have a French/English dictionary for Kindle on my iPad and when I read this book, if I come to a word I don't understand I can tap on it and it brings up the dictionary translation. You can set the dictionary to look in the dictionary you choose and won't change for that book unless you change it.
Then also I can highlight (in a choice of colours) words or phrases that I want to ask about in my french class and then take it along with me.

Other than all that, it is a charming little story, which I have already read a couple of times in English.