on 14 December 2016
I dislike endless pages wasted on descriptions of sex, however the storyline is engaging and kept me entertained enough to flick through them. Without it I would give this a 5
on 8 October 2014
I don't know why I continue to be drawn to Grace Burrowes' books unless it is that all the Lonely Lords books and the Windham books seem to be somewhat related and there is that part of me that is determined to understand all the connections. In truth, I have really enjoyed some of these books. However, what I am finding more and more as I read through the Lonely Lords' series is that these lords "think" and "analyze" way too much. No wonder they are so lonely and lost. Even after they become "found," they still seem to be way more expressive in their ability to emote and often are touchy-feely toward other men which I don't have a problem with, except when it is overdone as I think it is in several of her books.

In Trenton's story, I found him to be really too weak, there for awhile. Yes, he had suffered terribly in his first marriage and he was all that was/is honorable, but his wimpiness in not going forward with a permanent solution in his relationship with Ellen left me frustrated. Instead, he played the old game of - "I want her" but "I can't have her" so "I'll stay away from her" but no "I can't stay away from her" - enough already! Also, obviously, there is so much more to the story than was written in this book, I will now have to go buy more books in this series to get the background of his mean old father and learn what happened to his sister "Leah" and so on. This is always the case. I should have just begun from the first book and read my way forward. It seems to me these individual books could be standalone stories, but I have found that there are always so many things referred to but not answered, one must go back and figure out which book(s) to read in order to get the facts.
on 22 January 2016
A very enjoyable - and typical - Grace Burrowes novel. It is a good length, but kept my attention all through. Trenton is not coping well with the death of his wife. They had not been very close, but he felt responsible for her untimely end. Elegy was widowed after 5 years of marriage when her husband died in a hunting accident. He had been far more interested in hunting and carousing with his friends than staying home with her, and left her alone in the country for months on end. However, after his death, Ellie discovered she was expecting his child. Trent, dragged out of his lonely drunken life-style in town to a country estate by his younger brother (Darius), is obliged by custom to pay a formal visit on his neighbour.

A relationship evolves between the lonely pair, but it soon becomes evident that someone is trying to end Trent's life, when a bullet whistles past his head as he walks with Ellie in the woods. This brings attention to other events, which are now thought to be suspicious. Afraid that Ellie will be hurt, Trent decides that he must end their relationship until the possible threat is over. The tale covers the ups and downs of their relationship and the unravelling of the plot against Trent. There is also a secondary character, Cato, who adds to the rich patchwork of the novel.

As usual with Ms Burrowes books, I was totally absorbed. The writing is good, the characterization is in depth, and I love the interconnection with people from other books in her series. I would certainly recommend this to both old and new readers of her books.
on 8 May 2014
Grace Burtowes has done it again! Her insight into grieving is very accurate and valid in whichever historical period you might place it. A great addition to the series and worth it on its own.
on 17 May 2014
I have read everything written by Grace Burrowes and her Lonely Lords series is just wonderful. I could read them again!!
on 31 October 2014
not clear when story was set. too many americanisms in all three books
on 15 September 2014
Wonderful book by Grace Burrowes about Trenton, Lord of Loss. This is part of her Lonely Lords series. Excellent and fascinating stories by this talented authoress.
on 27 March 2015
Grace Burrows great author. Set of Lonely Lords books. great set of books read every one loved them all .highly recommended.
on 28 May 2014
Really good story, so much so I have just bought all the other books in this series. Can't wait to start the next one.
on 18 May 2014
Story was so hard to follow. Gave up in the end, and went to the end just to see what happened.