• Lying
  • Customer reviews

on 10 October 2016
I read this book a few years ago and it had profound effect on me. Sam creates a strong augment for the detrimental effects of even small so called white lies and I believe he is completely right, we all know people who try to lie in order to impress us, often either to no avail or eventually to there downfall.

I think people often lie because they either struggle to be vulnerable or feel a lot of shame, yet the irony is lying only creates more shame and feelings of inadequacy, but I digress. My point is simple, Sam hits the nail on the head, lying sucks, if you are not sure, read his book to understand why.
on 9 November 2012
My partner recommended this book months ago after he stumbled across it, whilst it featured in my wish list, it was one of those books you 'never get round to buying.'
However, I purchased the book after a final reminder from him and just...WOW!! This book should be read by everyone, it's a book that everyone at some point in their life can relate to.
It is a powerful account of all the lies we are told or lies we choose to tell day to day. Before reading this book, I would have considered myself an honest individual, after reading this book, I reconsidered!! This book highlights the un-typical types of traps we fall into which create a minefield of lies.
A brilliant read that could only serve as an insight to all.
on 30 May 2014
I really enjoyed the book. We all tell lies to some extent and I think many of the situations discussed in the book were thought provoking for me. When my mother was dying of a brain tumour I did help paint rosier picture thank I should have, I now realise with that wonderful thing of hindsight I probably shouldn't have done. We could have probably had so many more important conversations than we did. Even so, it clear with some of the scenarios painted by previous readers, Mr Harris did struggle with convincing me truth is always best, particularly when dealing with other cultures that do not hold honesty in as high a regard as we might.

I think if you are someone who is in the habit of regularly telling lies, this is probably a book you should read and use to explore yourself more deeply and hopefully make a real commitment to honesty in the future. X
on 20 July 2017
Great concept book. Would have given 5 stars if it had been a bit longer. Probably room for more expansion in the subject. Overall well written.
on 15 September 2012
I enjoyed this long essay and read it in an hour. It's a single argument, logically laid out, well backed-up and persuasive. Its short length does make it feel a little shallow, though. It's reads like a taster of a longer, deeper exploration to come. Cheap though!
on 29 March 2018
Great!
on 24 January 2017
highly recommended, engaging and thought provoking, its short so u get the full idea quickly ( no filler stories) and small to put in pocket for reading on the tube home.
on 15 December 2017
If you enjoy Harris' other works you will enjoy this. Easily readable in a single sitting. The Q&A at the end puts Sam's commitment to honesty through a series of hypotheticals that evidence the implicit value of the doctrine.
on 3 February 2018
Short but well argued, this book convinced me.

The interviews and reader questions add a lot of value, without which this would have been more of a long essay than a book, but would recommend either way.
on 24 June 2017
A very good book which I really enjoyed, I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in philosophy and truth