on 4 January 2014
I very much enjoyed this book. It tackles all the major objections raised against the existence of God, and will equip believers for productive discussion with atheists and agnostics. Unlike some books written by theists to counter atheist arguments, this book is very sensitively written, and has a gentle but highly logical style, never resorting to ad hominem attacks. I think that any atheist or agnostic genuinely interested in seeing a summary of the best arguments for theism would benefit from reading it.
on 11 April 2016
Having viewed many of Trent Horn's videos on YouTube I became a fan and decided to buy his book on atheism. As per usual, Trent's approach is polite, clear and to-the-point, with many useful analogies on morality and the Divine.

The sole reason I decided to give it four stars instead of five is because of the author's capitulation on evolutionary creationism. He makes the claim (like many Christians these days) that belief in God and evolution are perfectly compatible. Despite being a practising Catholic myself, I'm afraid I have to agree with Dawkins on this when he says that such a belief is simply 'absurd'.

Regardless of whether God could have created man through evolutionary mechanisms, the idea that an animal soul was eventually transformed into a human one is unacceptable! If we are willing to believe that God is all-powerful and all-knowing, why can't we believe that he created Adam and Eve from nothing? Yes, there are more and more churchmen (even the pope) who are willing to accept evolution as fact, but these are mere opinions that don't reflect the traditional understanding of the Church.

I'm not a biologist or scientist; I'm not even entirely sure if the theory of evolution is false (some scientist think it is!), however, if we (in the Church) start to say that such and such a passage in the bible should no longer be interpreted literally, I think this is a very slippery path towards atheism itself.
on 17 January 2016
I am a Catholic. I had an atheist friend contact me recently, who I suspect has been exposed to some of the more virulent atheistic arguments. This book provides a wealth of responses to the philosophical objections to God. I feel comfortable that he was able to demonstrate that it is more reasonable to believe in God than not.

He also writes clearly, but gently, so that I have no qualms about suggesting my friend buys a copy.
on 3 April 2016
Great book, it is well structured and easy to follow and understand. Trent uses creative analogies and sound arguments that at the very least make the belief in God coherent with the world we experience.
on 21 August 2014
I have just started reading this book, and I have a problem with Mr Horn's definition of Atheism.
Mr Horn correctly says that Atheism means "without God" but later goes on to say that
Atheists share the burden of proof with Theists. It is, however, the person who is making
the claim who has the burden of proof. I am an Atheist because I do not accept the claims
made by Theists. This does not mean that I am making the claim that God does not exist and
so I have no burden of proof. I do not see my position as being the same as an Agnostic who
is saying that we do not possess the knowledge to form an opinion either way and so sits on
the fence. I am not sitting on the fence. I am on the Atheist's side of the fence because I find
the claims made by Theists to be unconvincing and so the only sensible position is Atheism.
It just seems more plausible to accept that the universe is an entirely natural phenomenon
rather than think that there exists a supernatural realm for which there is absolutely no
evidence.
From my viewpoint, it is not possible to prove Atheism false because my Atheism is the result
of my inability to accept the Theist's extraordinary claims. My viewpoint is not false to me.
Still, I will read on. Perhaps Mr Trent will have some good arguments in favour of Theism.

Devout Atheist still unconvinced (Part 2)

I have now abandoned reading this book.

Before I tell you why, I will tell you what I thought was good about the book.
Firstly, I liked the layout. It id divided into three parts. Part 1 explains the God debate
and in the main, this seems quite sound. Part 2 aims to show that Atheism is false.
It fails to do that, but more about that later. Part 3 aims to show that Theism is true.
Once again, the book fails, but more about that later too.
Mr Horn seems to have quite good credentials. I saw the book advertised on the
Catholic Answers website and I see that, in writing the book, Mr Horn had the help
of many other people. The book looked quite promising and I felt sure that Mr Horn's
arguments would have some meat on them, but I was ultimately disappointed.

At the end of each chapter, Mr Horn has included a conversation between a Theist
and an Atheist. The Atheist is presented as being a bit dim while the Theist is presented
as having the upper hand in the debate. I found this rather irritating.

One of the problems that I have always had with Christianity, is that the Christian God
is always presented as being loving, merciful and just as well as answering prayers and
performing miracles. This version of God, to my mind, cannot be reconciled with all the
pointless suffering in the world. Mr Trend deals with the so-called problem of evil by
saying that God might have a good reason to allow suffering and it is for the Atheist to
prove that God does not have any such good reasons. No, Mr Trent, you are wrong.
The burden of proof lies with the person making the claim. You are making a claim
which is, frankly, quite preposterous and you have the burden of proof. Atheists don't
have to do anything apart from clasping their head between their hands, their mouths
wide open and speechless, unable to express their astonishment at how an intelligent
man from the 21st century can hold beliefs which you would expect from a peasant in the
middle ages. I nearly gave up the book at this point but I pressed on.

Mr Trent starts Part 3 by saying that in Part 2, we saw that there is no good reason to think
that Atheism, or the claim that God does not exist, is true. Well, actually, no, Mr Trent.
We didn't see that at all. We did see a load of extremely weak arguments, though.
Mr Trent then goes on to attempt to show us that Theism is true, But what we get is several
flawed arguments. We have St Thomas Aquinas to thank for these arguments that attempt
to show that the universe must have had a cause. However, what Mr Trend does not
deal with the fact that, even if the universe did have a cause, there is absolutely nothing
to show that this cause is God. St Thomas Aquinas' Five Ways have been debunked many
times over. It seemed that this was all that Mr Trent had to offer and, as I have heard this
nonsense before, I decided not to waste any more of my time. I closed the book feeling
even more certain in my Atheism than I had before. I feel certain that anyone who has
been hopelessly indoctrinated into their particular flavour of Theism would swallow every
word, unable to recognise their subjective bias. When the book is read objectively, however,
it is not difficult to recognise its absurdity.
I find books such as
50 Simple Questions for Every Christian
and
Atheist Universe: The Thinking Person's Answer to Christian Fundamentalism
make a lot more sense to me and I would recommend these to anyone, Theist or Atheist.
on 24 December 2016