Customer reviews

The Columbo Case Files: Season One: Volume 1
Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 July 2013
I was really looking forward to getting into this, but it became difficult to read. There are missing words; parts of words missing; commas in the wrong place and sometimes missing completely. The grammar is, at best, secondary school standard.
The author's use of what I can only describe as "Americanisms" meant that the book was scattered with words I didn't understand. Also the author, at the end of each episode precis, gives a list of favourite quotes from that particular episode. Trouble is there is no distinct marker between quotes, which makes it difficult to read as one line of a quote may refer to the previous quote, the next quote or have no relationship at all.
I found myself thinking that this "book" (actually 80-odd pages), needs a complete re-write to make it more coherent, to correct the bad grammar and to make it more understandable to the legions of Columbo fans who live outside America.
I gave this review only 1 star, and that's for the author being an obvious Columbo fan.
VINE VOICEon 7 May 2013
The Columbo Case Files covers the first season of the classic tv series Columbo. Sadly there havn't been many books published about Columbo so I was delighted when I heard about this one. The book is very short (around 80 pages) but is well written though some photos form the episodes covered would have been nice. It contains synopsis of each episode as well as the two pilot tele movies. The author, Paul Hughes has also rated each episode and a key scene from each one. One word of warning, the book does give away plot details of each episode so I would avoid reading any chapters on episodes that you have not watched (not that there will be many me thinks). So all in all a really enjoyable book which you can revisit again when you are enjoying an episode of Columbo. I look forward to Mr Hughes writing about the remaining season of this classic series.
on 25 December 2013
I'm sure that, over the years, there have been publications (official or otherwise) which have acted as some kind of 'companion' books to the Columbo series, but I have been unable to find any available that function as this book does that are extant now at a good price (not at some ridiculous 'out of print' second hand price of anywhere between £50 and £130!!). The fact that's it a Kindle book is so much better. I've bought this, and the second one - I just hope Paul Hughes continues when he has the time!
on 12 January 2013
I bought the first Kindle edition "Columbo Season 1". I am at a loss as to why a second version which costs more. Why couldn't any additions be put into a "season 2" volume