The Art of the Doodle by Eleanor Kwei is actually two books in one. The cover is actually sort of a shell that's holding the other two books within using a red band. Inside, there's A Guide to Doodling and the Doodle Journal.

A Guide to Doodling is a 96-page book that introduces doodling as a fun activity. It an introductory guide to doodling. There are short lessons on making marks, dots and lines, geometric shapes, patterns and finding inspiration from nature, such as drawing trees, fish and even people. There's even mention of composition, light and shadow, but they are very brief of course. The main goal of the book is to get you to doodle, draw and have some fun.

The Doodle Journal is the book you draw on. The pages are already filled with simple background drawings of all sorts. You can just draw over them. Occasionally, there are also some interesting quotes, either from artists or other creators, and singers (Miley Cryus?).

It's a fun two-book set for anyone who likes to doodle.
11 Comment| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 January 2014
This is a great introduction to doodling. It covers everything from lines, curves, patterns, shapes in nature, people and colour, as well as different mediums.

There's also a doodling journal which has lots of pages of prompts for you to continue and fill in the page.

As this is a nicely presented pair of books, I think it would make a lovely gift for someone interested in doodling.
on 22 July 2014
I'm sorry to say that I was very disappointed with this package. It might make a really good gift for a newbie but for someone who has done, journalling (not art journalling), zentangles and doodling for scrapbooking I already have better books. I was looking forward to the guided element as a way to get into art journalling and have my hand held and given ideas and to gradual get going on my own.

This pack is two books, one is a kind of instructional book about doodling and how to work it out but the zentangle books are perhaps more accessible and my favourite doodling book is still this one, (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doodling-Papercrafters-House/dp/160140560X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406055231&sr=8-1&keywords=doodling+for+papercrafters)

The journal itself is ok, but there are "doodles" across a lot of the pages, throughout the book which is kind of weird when you're supposed to be learning to make your own, and it's nothing special. I have seen a lot more beautiful journals out there.

So to sum up, this is a good set for someone starting out with no experience, other books or a journal already. If you have any of these things or a little experience then this may not be for you. In which case choose your own beautiful journal and I bet there are some good guided (free) online tutorials to help you start out. This will be my next step and I wish I had taken it before investing in this rather expensive set.
on 3 April 2016
I haven't started doodling yet, but this looks promising. This set comes with an instruction book, and a book you can start doodling in for yourself.

I kinda like that the pages in the art journal isn't just blank paper, but that there are some shapes along the pages, that can start of a creativity wave. Please note that this isn't a coloring book, but more a book to help you make your own coloring book. :D

Also, the binding is pretty. Looks neat on the shelf too.
on 3 September 2013
Love this book, along with the others i have, thismis a good addition to the library. Worth having i feel.
on 21 October 2014
I was disappointed with this book and workbook. I didn't find the suggestions very helpful especially in extending your own ability.
on 21 July 2014
Bought for grandaughter, but too hard for her.
on 4 September 2014
Very impressed, keeps me occupied for hours.
on 2 December 2015
Again too many blank pages for my liking.
on 7 July 2014
One to add to my collection of art books