on 13 November 2013
Digital photographers who want to progress beyond the scope of simple computer software for digital editing to that of highly advanced software should read this book; it describes simply and clearly in "tutorial-style" how to use the best known open source, multi-platform digital editing programme "GIMP". Many sample photographs are provided on the attached DVD for use in following the tutorials. The disk also contains the GIMP software and various extensions to it. Be aware, however, that as with all advanced software there is a "steep learning curve" so even with this book it will take a determined effort to become modestly proficient. Even so, I am sure that the book will be worthwhile.
on 19 November 2015
Book looks to be fine by me... The gimp software enclosed was scanned by my Norton security and contained TROJAN.ADH.2 Infected file D:\programs\gimp\win gimp\gimp hacks\gimpshop_d685180.exe Norton told me to remove the disc and rescan, I re scanned and it was fully resolved. I then carried a scan out for a second time and it still contained the Trojan. So I wont be using this disc. (Please don't put this software on your computer without running a security scan.)..... That's the reason I marked it with a 4. Had software not contained a Trojan id have given 5 stars. Shame really as the book looks very interesting...
on 31 March 2014
Having read this informative book about Gimp it explains in detail how this software works and it is a powerful programme indeed. Well worth the twenty pounds that I paid for the book (it includes a cd of the free software).
on 29 December 2013
Well written and informative with good clear detailed instructions.
Recommended for anyone wishing to use something else other than photoshop.
on 23 March 2014
This is an excellent book. When I first started reading it I thought it was a bit basic but the more I read the more detailed it becomes and I've learnt all manner of small but incredibly useful tips. Best buy of my year.
on 14 November 2015
This is a great book for Gimp. It takes some reading but after a while very useful and simple to use techniques become obvious and then the power of GIMP becomes accessible and straight-forward and GIMP becomes so user-friendly. I am very pleased with it and this book and GIMP does it all for me. GIMP is now my first and only image editor for my Nikon D80.
on 23 May 2014
It'll be a long time before I get to the end of this book [if ever] but so far it's been informative and easy to use.
on 4 February 2017
I've given it 3 stars as I'm trying to be fair, I have only got as far as page 82 of this book. I may not bother reading the rest.
I moved from Windows to Linux so 'lost' Photoshop and decided to learn Gimp. Gimp works in a very similar way to Photoshop in many ways, but there are differences, which is why I bought this book.
The book should be entitled 'Gimp 2.8 for Windows' because in those 82 pages that I have read, virtually everything has been based on the Windows system.
Neither have I have learned anything new in those 82 pages as the author goes to great lengths about installing the progamme [in windows] how to open files etc. etc.. Fine for a newbie but a waste of paper for someone who has a little computer experience.

To be honest, I've learned more about using Gimp from YouTube tutorials than I have from this book, so if you are a Linux user, keep your money in your pocket.
on 30 September 2014
Great stuff. Will provide what I need without the expense of Photoshop. Clear lucid explanations that fulfill my requirements. Cannot praise this highly enough. It couldn't be better for someone who isn't too good at having to cope with complex instructions. Thank you.
on 16 March 2015
Excellent book, easy to find to answers to all my queries and make Gimp a much easier program to use.