Customer reviews

on 26 April 2013
If you want to know how to set up and operate a D600, I don't believe this book can be beaten. Darrell Young - if his mum and dad hadn't invented him, God would have had to. Young is one of those rare birds who are prepared to spend endless hours in super-geek mode, delving into the minutiae of a device but who then can emerge and explain what they know in terms that the rest of us can understand.

I've graduated through the ranks of digital cameras somewhat reluctantly. As a pro, having used all formats from 35mm to 10"x8" film cameras, where the only three camera controls are aperture, shutter speed and focus, grappling with a seeming infinitude of options and settings was either extremely irritating or downright depressing. It was certainly getting in the way of shooting pictures.

A Nikon D60 is a comparatively simple DSLR to master. I managed to get my first decent DSLR shots without going any further than a pick-and-mix from Ken Rockwell's web page on it.

The D7000 I got next was a different matter altogether. I got Darrell Young's book "Mastering the Nikon D7000" and all was revealed. It was like Moses bringing the tablets down from the mountain. When I got a D600, the first thing I did was sign up for advance purchase of Young's D600 book. This is, essentially, his D7000 book with the additions and amendments relevant to the D600, as so many features and controls are common to both cameras.

The really great thing about Young's book is that not only does he go through every single aspect of each option, control button and menu item, explaining what they do and how they work but he explains WHY you would want to use the control or set the option to obtain a particular result. This is what no manuals ever do. At the end of the section on any control or option he gives his recommended setting or explains what setting he uses and why. This means you have a sound basis for making your own choice - or using his and seeing how it suits you or not.

I can't think of anything he's missed. Each topic is covered in the same thorough but plainly expressed manner. For anyone with a Nikon D600 [or any other that he has written about, in fact] you will find this book really does make operating these computers with lenses stuck on the front far less daunting or baffling. You will be able to get the best from your camera, rather than just get by.

The only thing I would pick up on is that he mentions that the book has been produced to be convenient to carry around in a camera bag. As the book is 547 pages of good quality paper [with excellent and comprehensive illustrations], I doubt anyone would do so. It's the book to work through at home, with the camera to hand, going through the topics until you really know which way is up with your DSLR. This it will most certainly help you to achieve.
on 28 June 2013
Loads of useful stuff here, and a very useful aid to getting the best out of your camera. Think the other reviews give you the impression that Darrell Young is not only an expert on the topic but presents the info in an easy to understand form. That is my view also.

I do not use my camera every week and so I like to have the manual to hand in case I have forgotten a particular setting. This is especially true of the Nikon D600 which has a mind blowing number of menus and levels (Darrell has a very useful section on setting up your own menu for the settings you use). So I opted for the eBook version which I could keep on my phone and have with me all the time. Good concept but in practice has a problem. With a reference book you can quickly skip between areas as you follow a topic or concept. The skip forward and return option in Kindle I don't find so useful. I would have liked an index that you could go to with one touch and then straight to the section of interest. I am a an older user so perhaps younger users might be more adept at these transitions

No hesitation on awarding 5 stars for the content however..
on 24 October 2013
I bought this for my son, who has reported to me that he had learnt quite a lot from this. It is less 'dense' than the Nikon manual,, but covers all aspects of the camera, with evrty single menu setting being discussed in detail. He loved the 'recommendations' and has now adjusted his camera in line with these, with, he says, significant improvement in the quality of his pix!!
on 29 July 2013
This is not my first book by Darrell Young and it did not disappoint. Firstly he makes you feel comfortable about the Nikon D600 and you know that he has fully tested the camera. His writing style easy to follow and he gives you the freedom to set the camera to your individual style of photography.
The D600 is a wonderful camera BUT it is also a very complex camera with many professional settings. It is much more than an entry level or enthusiast product Many profession photographers could use this camera and not be disappointed.
I can highly recommend "Mastering the D600" for those who wish to master this fine camera. Darrell Young takes you through the book as if he is your friend.
on 7 February 2014
Brilliant book. Gives you all the confidence to never use that 'Auto' button (i.e., the evil button that turns your DSLR into an expensive point and shoot compact camera!).

Pros:
Easy to read.
Pictorial explanations are very handy.
Well structured.
Not for one moment did I get confused with the terminology. Minimal photographic jargon and clear descriptions of terms/jargon when used.

Cons:
Price! (But not too bad considering that you will definitely get the most out of your camera that would have cost you around £1500ish!!).
on 16 August 2013
we find darrell young books very easy to follow. we had the book for the d90 a few years before. and both make it very simple to follow. this was a present for my hubby, he doesnt like reading books, but this one he cant keep his head out.
on 7 October 2013
A perfect book full of everything you need to know, very well written and I would recommend it to anybody with a D600.
on 5 November 2014
A useful addition to the manufacturers handbook.
on 20 September 2014
Much, much better than the manual - I understand what he's talking about!
on 23 September 2013
Full comprehensive details or what options to select with camera, written by a NIKON expert
Everything extensively detailed with which default options to use etc. Need to read through a couple of times to understand options fully.