on 20 July 2015
After an initial appraisal of the book, I am not convinced that the technique is as useful for digital photography as the author implies.

None of the images within the book have convinced me of the benefits of using this rather complex system. In my opinion, using Photoshop with a number of readily available plug-ins can achieve similar results. I would have liked to have seen much more information in the book, particularly in chapter 5, as I suspect some stages have been missed out, or perhaps more illustrations might have helped.

Just owning Photoshop is not enough: unless the reader is an expert in all the detailed workings of Photoshop, I would recommend steering clear of the technique described in this book.

Although I am a very keen photographer and an active member of a local camera club, I will not be adopting this technique any time soon.
55 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 July 2013
As a user of the Zone System with film for some 35 years, I found this book extremely interesting. After taking you through the principles it shows you in great detail how to apply those principles to digital photography to give you ultimate control over your images. However, I thought there were a few things missing; for example, I've used a system to determine the true 'speed' of my camera's sensor so that I don't over or under-expose. But having said that, the book is well worth studying.
on 25 May 2013
This is the best book on the zone system by far, gives very good technical analysis but with practical application as well.Not normally given to reviewing books ,but this is by far the best .
on 28 May 2014
An easy to understand volume on the subject which is well produced, illustrated and written. Chris Johnson's Focal Press book digs deeper and goes into far more detail but this is an easier read and covers the topic well.
on 5 June 2015
Excellent product as expected
on 7 April 2014
Book was new. Very well packed. A bit more technical than I expected. Still working my way through it. It was received very quickly after I placed order. No problems.