Customer reviews

Endgame (Sirantha Jax Novels)
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

After Aftermath I was a little nervous about reading Endgame, I was worried about the direction certain things went and I wasn't happy at what seemed to be turning into a love triangle between Sirantha, March and Vel. As it turns out I'm actually quite glad that I did read it, if nothing else it means I have closure on the series and there were things I really enjoyed about the story.

To start with the positives I was really pleased to see Sirantha follow through on her promise to Loras to help him free the La'hengrin. They had been treated horrendously by humanity and have been suffering ever since we decided to meddle in their biology so it was great to see Sirantha step up to do something about it. I enjoyed watching Loras lead the rebellion, they're in the middle of an all out war so things aren't easy for any of them but Loras has come a long way from the beginning of the series. Vel as always stands out as a brilliant character and I love the humour that Baby Z always brings to the show.

I'd been really angry with the way things ended between Sirantha and March in the previous book so I was pleased that they manage to turn things around here. At the same time though I do think the way things were resolved just made the drama from the last book feel even more forced and just a cheap way to tug at readers heart strings. If there is one thing I really think ruined this series it's the constant issues between the main couple. They were absolutely fantastic in the first couple of books but from there onwards it's been one thing after another keeping them apart and putting blocks between them. Vel has been one of my favourite characters since the moment he was introduced but I love him as a friend for Sirantha and I think their relationship got far too complicated and blurred a few too many lines for me. I know they've never actually crossed the line completely but I'd have enjoyed it much more if they'd been firm friends and allies all the way through. I just reached the point where I struggled to believe Sirantha's proclamations of undying love for March because she always treated him badly. He wasn't much better at times but at least he usually had better reasons.

I also missed the wider scope of the earlier books, it was so much fun to see them travelling through space and visiting different planets so I got a little bored when they spent the entire book in one place. They had an important mission but I'd have liked it to tie up a little faster and for us to actually see them start their next adventure. Especially because that would have given us a chance to catch up with characters like Dina and Hit who were completely absent from this book. Considering what major characters they were early on it was disappointing that we didn't get the chance to catch up with them one last time in the final book of the series.

Overall for me this series started out amazingly strong and fizzled out a bit in the last couple of books. I still think it was well worth reading, particularly for the AMAZING early books though and I'm looking forward to trying the spin off series too.
on 10 September 2012
Endgame is the sixth and final book in the Sirantha Jax series by Ann Aguirre. Over the series we have seen Jax find love, loose people she loves, fight wars and travel Grimspace, a place where people can travel faster than light.

La'heng is a planet that was discovered by humans many years ago. In order to colonize the planet and make the hostile natives more compliant humans let loose a gas. This had the disastrous effect of making all of the native beings on La'heng reliant on the humans. If a La'hengrin didn't have a human to be their protector they would die. The humans took full advantage of this and forced the La'hengrin into being their slaves. In book 1 Grimspace Jax meets Loras and unwittingly becomes his protector only to leave him to die later on. In book 5 Aftermath Jax discovers Loras isn't dead and to help her right the wrong of leaving Loras to die she employs a scientist to find a cure for the enslavement of La'hengrins. Endgame tells the story of Jax trying to free the planet of La'heng.

I have loved reading about Jax's adventures over the previous 5 books and I was intrigued to see how the final one would play out. Would Jax end up with Vel the bug like Ithtorian who has been her constant companion who never ever lets her down? Or would she end up with the warrior March who she has a passionate relationship with but who constantly lets her down and leaves her when she needs him the most? Would she free the people of La'heng and right her wrong of leaving Loras for dead? I hoped to get answers to all my questions as well as enjoying a thrilling ride along the way. Well I can say that I got the answers to my questions however the ride wasn't so thrilling.

I admit I did struggle with the book at the beginning of the story. I was so frustrated with Jax and March just going over the same old ground once again of they love each other but can't be together. Oh get over it already, if you love each other as you say you do then you would stop at nothing to be together. But then the story started to develop and I started to get into it. Loras leads the La'heng Liberation Army in their war against the human rulers of the planet and in his army are Jax, Vel and Zeeka as well as lots of La'hengrin. We meet new characters and find out more about the people of La'heng. We get to see many battles over the years that the war is fought and it is this aspect which made me struggle further with the book. Yes some of the battles are exciting but for me it just went on and on and I got bored of it. There would be a fight then a few months would be skipped to a new fight and it just didn't do it for me. In fact I'm sorry to say that I skimmed the last 50 pages just to hurry it up and get my answers.

I also found Jax and her inner dialogue to keep rehashing the story. Something would happen then Jax would keep going over it reminding us what had just happened and it really annoyed me. As well as this I found inaccuracies in the plot and some spelling mistakes. I am disappointed with Endgame I was hoping for so much more. For me it was the weakest book in what was otherwise a tremendous series and I am going to give it 3 stars. I know other Jax fans out there who have loved it so I hope you do too.
on 2 June 2017
I’m so glad that I picked up this series – it has been a diverse and turbulent road for Sirantha but a most enjoyable and intriguing one for me.
What stands out to me in this series is the deep, real relationships between the characters and fascinating world that Ms Aguirre has created. Though I am going to miss Sirantha, March and Vel, and their adventures, this is certainly a series that I will cherish and re-read again and again. And I will certainly be reading more of Ms Aguirre’s books – I love her writing style and the originality of her characters and plots.
on 22 August 2015
The last two novels of this series are a little disappointing - the first three utterly brilliant which is such a shame. Although I love Anne Aguirre.