Customer reviews

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 8 August 2013
Definitely a book to read! Bloody brilliant! I can honestly say this series of books is the best that I have ever had the pleasure of reading. I can say please read them in order. You will not disappointed Kate kicks ass. Great great book. Thank you Ilona and Andrew you have done it again, just please please please write faster ;0) can't wait for what you have in store for Kate's world.
on 16 June 2017
Love Ilona Andrews books
All of them
And this series is brilliant
on 12 May 2017
on 6 August 2013
It is important to note that these books are written for a specific audience. I am fairly confident 40+ year old single males are not what the publishers, or probably the authors, are aiming for. As such please take this review in that context.

I have loved the Kate Daniels series since the first book and my addiction has grown with every passing novel and short story.

I do love urban fantasy but I tend to dislike most paranormal romance novels that focus on romance or sex instead of the story.

For the first time in the series it felt like I was reading a paranormal romance rather than an urban fantasy action novel. I sensed the relationship between Kate and Curran was the main focus. In the previous novels their relationship has grown and developed in spite of the story, either comically or epically. I am hoping for a return to violence and less angst in the next in the series. Whilst this is not my favourite in the series it is still very good and a worthy continuation. There is also now a real feeling that Kate and Curran have passed the point of no return and a confrontation with her father is now inevitable. There is still plenty of action and there are several action segments that were simply fantastic plus there is a great reference to David Eddings to watch for.

Overall, if you have read the others in the series you are already, like me, addicted. This is still my favourite series and Kate is still my favourite heroine.
on 26 October 2013
Have said how much I love these books!!!! Well I do. Kate Daniel’s is my idol and her “boyfriend” Curran ain’t half bad either. I can’t tell people often enough to give these books a try even if paranormal /urban fantasy isn’t normally their thing.

Now on book #6, with lots of other juicy infill stories, Kate and Curran, the Lord Beast continue on their journey together. After loupism raises its head again and affects Julie’s best friend Maddie, the all too familiar group come together again to head in search of supplied of the cure, Panacea. After being offered an almost impossible job in return for Panacea, Kate and Curran head off with their trusty sidekicks, including Barabas, Aunt B, Mahon and of course the ever faithful Derek.

In need of a ship, Kate calls in a favour from the ever entertaining Saiman and faced with having to spend weeks together on a ship, Curran and Saiman’s story heads into interesting “waters”.

The bad guy role falls onto the shoulders of Hugh d’Ambray again and added another dimension to Kate’s story. We’ve been waiting to hear more of Kate’s background and her father, Roland and more questions have been answered. After spending time with Kate, Hugh becomes enamoured by her drive and determination but Kate doesn’t fall for his charms and maintains her wish to seek revenge for her adoptive father’s death.

I think this book is the best so far. It’s fast paced, extremely entertaining and packed full with special effects and interesting facets. There are “were” creatures from all walks of life, even weredolphins which cracked me up plus some other new even more unusual characters. Ilona Andrew’s writing style is amazing and packed with perfect quotes which are humorous and imaginative. I love Kate’s spoken battles as much as her physical battles. Quote of the book for me though, courtesy of Curran has to be:

“Mine is taller. It’s not the size of the castle. It’s what you do with it.”
on 2 August 2013
Edited to add ------> you may want to read the deleted scene at the back of the book first. I beleive it would have made an excellent prologue.

It is not often that one can say that a book in a particular series is `the best ever'. However, in my mind I can and will be saying exactly that about Magic Rises. It is the without an iota of doubt in my mind, the best book in this series to date. This book is filled to the brim with magic, action, mystery blood and even some romance.

The writing team of Ilona and Gordon Andrews have come a very long way from their first novel in this series Magic Bites.. The maturity of the characters has left me breathless. The plotting is without a doubt, written more intricately and adeptly than any other author of this genre can. This team can write a scene where everything looks hopeless for the protagonist, and instead of pulling some lame trick out of thin air to rescue the character, the team actually uses something that makes sense, has already been mentioned and planned for. This is a sign of a great author.

There is a very popular author, whose main character gets a new power when backed into a corner. This other author does not plan or plot - she just adds a new powers when needed. With no plausible explanations how the character got the powers.

The Andrews team does NOT rely on Mary Sue characteristics for Kate. They plan and they plot and the end product is nearly flawless. Yes, there still are continuity problems - ones that might easily be missed, but nothing that will take away from your reading experience.

As an added bonus, there are deleted chapters in the back of this book that the team simply could not fit in anywhere without creating a problem with the finished novel.

The characters are written and developed so well that you think you might be able to become friends with them. The secondary characters are written so well that you think you will explode if you don't read at least a novella about their lives. You will become so invested in the characters that when something happen to one, you almost feel it like it had happened to you. Even the romance in this book, as little as there is, is true to life - no fantasy garbage, just real people leading real lives in a topsy-turvy world where your best friend may get a bit furry and fanged when irritated.

As we know from the synopsis, our group will be going over to Europe to do a job that is guaranteed to be fraught with danger, yet yield a wonderful payoff; the panacea to end most cases of Loupism. They know they are heading off into a trap, but what else could Kate and Curran do when the children of the pack might be cured of this horrible problem? You know they will both enter with blade and claw drawn. What they didn't know is that the trap is even more deadly than they thought and the price for the panacea is even higher than they expected it to be.

Spoilerish but not really-------> We will lose one of our min secondary characters in this book and two of the others will be damaged, possibly beyond repair. There is confrontation with a particular someone so unexpected, that my jaw actually dropped. This happens in the first quarter of the book. Curran may possibly look like an opportunistic jerk for a while. There is more blood and guts in this book,than in most of the other books. There is a very hot scene. In addition, I thank the writing team for not making sex the focal point of these novels. This series has stuck to being an Urban Fantasy series without the sex/romance.

The group will encounter some interesting new species, and even take one home with them. Yes our intrepid group (or most of it) does manage to get a happily ever after - in a twisted sort of way.

----------------> End Spoilers <---------------------------

There is a secondary plot going on with Kate and Curran that proves to us that Kate is her own woman. She is still unsure of herself. She is still trying to protect those she loves from her Father and she has fears of losing Curran. Although she loves Curran to bits, she has not lost her mind or herself over him. The Andrews make the couples interactions very realistic.

This was purely an edge of your seat, cannot put it down type of read.
on 15 June 2017
That was a book, to end ALL books. Amazing, gripping, breathtakingly amazing, heartbreaking, a roller-coaster that pulled you in and spat you out all mangled and desperate, looking for something to hold on tight and fight for you sanity.

I don't think it gets any better than this. But if someone can do it, Ilona Andrews is the one (or maybe two :p ) who can pull it off. I think I have to hibernate like a bear from Clan Heavy until the summer for the next one. I can't deal with all these emotions. Fear, hatred, unbelievable pain and rage, hopelessness, abandonment, doom, love....oooh unconditional love and happiness. I can't. I just....can't. I'm wiped out.
on 3 October 2013
If I could give it more than 5 stars, I would. The book is incredible, the story line pulls you in from the start, the characters are well written and thought out, and it's one of the few books that's written by two authors that I've read that doesn't feel like two authors, it's so smooth. The male characters are obviously written by a male, as you really do feel that you are seeing it from a male's point of view, not what a woman thinks a man is thinking. And the female characters are really well written to, but none as good as the lead character, Kate. She is a great heroine, amazing sense of humour that has me laughing out loud at certain points. She's also not overly perfect as a lot of heroines lately seem to be, so it makes it easier to empathize with her.

If you've read all the books til now, like me, then reading this is frustratingly great. The actions of the characters frustrates because you don't understand why because you and they should know better!

There are also several shocks and twists in the story, and I refuse to write more about it so as not to give any spoilers. Suffice it to say it's great to have Kate back (wasn't a big fan - although still enjoyed it of book 5 - Gunmetal Magic) and to know they've been given the go ahead by their publishers for many more books, as it was originally going to end at book 7 and to think no more Kate and her world after that, is great news.
on 20 October 2013
The star rating is within the context of an Urban Fantasy series. If you are looking at this having never met Kate Daniels, stop and look up book 1 in the series (and note the series takes a couple of books to warm up).

If you are wondering whether to continue, don't hesitate. Ilona Andrews manages to keep the Kate and Curran dynamic lively despite them being an item. Unlike some other reviewers, I do think the story takes primary place in the novel, with developments in the mythology, the setting (Europe) and overall the story arc. Whilst the relationships are well illustrated, they don't overpower the narrative, (I speak as someone irritated by the PR genre.) High action and fight scenes are there aplenty and I liked the unfamiliar setting filled with my favourite characters and nasty surprises (a little reminiscent of The Castle of Otranto).

There is a nice balance between tension and humour and there is a sense that although the world is established in great detail, the style is self aware and doesn't take itself too seriously. I'm still not sure what to make of the new magical duo-the resolution was a little too neat for my liking and I would like a little more grey in my characters; GRR Marten this is not. However, it kept me engaged, entertained and made me laugh loudly throughout the novel. I will certainly be waiting for the next in the series.
on 30 July 2013
I adore - ADORE - the Kate Daniels series, but I'll admit I was a little worried about it losing it's spark now that our heroine and hero are all loved up. There was nothing to worry about, the book is fantastic. I devoured it in a day and it was so emotionally draining that I was left exhausted by the end.

***** beware spoilers ahead *****

The book is set away from Atlanta for a change, so not every regular character has a big part and we are also introduced to new characters, but the synopsis probably gives a better outline than I can.

Kate and Curran's relationship is believably put under strain (a difficult manouver for the authors to pull off convincingly) and not only did I believe it as a reader, I FELT it. Warning bells went off in my head before they did in Kate's and I shared the feelings of disbelief, loss and humiliation. As a reader they took me from a place of being 100% confident in a Kate/Curran HEA and turned that belief on it's head - not an easy task! I love Curran, but there were times in this book I could have cheerfully strangled him... Luckily it's impossible to stay angry with the Beast Lord.

The story arc is drawing to a close and so it's no great surprise that we meet Hugh again... but how we meet him is ;) Some VERY interesting developments on this front and there were times he absolutely stole the show. The big bad is looming on the horizon and we really start to appreciate how momentous Kate's task is. She felt very human in this book.

Last but not least, there was the unexpected death of a much beloved character - I'll admit it, I cried. Like I said at the start of my review, emotionally draining stuff. Take the day off to read Magic Rises, because once you start you wont be able to put it down and if you're new to the series don't start here because you have missed soooooo much character development, start with Magic Bites: A Kate Daniels Novel: 1 and enjoy the ride!
55 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse