• Work

Customer reviews

Work
Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 September 2017
One of many Thigh Nhat Hang books that I've read. To be honest, I don't think that the end result of reading this one is that I will become a mindful bodhisattva in the work place. Fundamentally, whilst the intention is no doubt a fruitful one to which many will aspire, the result can be achieved with positive intent by simply adopting a mindful approach. The approach & adoption of mindful principles of understanding, compassion, joy & forgiveness will be known to most. The principle is one to be followed in life. Do the principles need to be relayed within a book to the work place? Possibly. Possibly not? Whether we like it or not, for the majority, there is a clear and separate space between the work and home environment. A state of bodhisattva will be reached where the boundary is not defined and we can operate in mindful joy between the two.
A quote to take away from the book is "If you're not aware of the sunshine, you always live in the dark. Mindfulness helps you to see that there is sunshine".
on 1 April 2013
I am retired now after a lifetime of work but these exercises and commentaries are useful for everyone, after we all have to do housework and no doubt voluntary work, cooking and so on. In fact the division between work and everyday life can be interchangeable just some of us still have to travel to do a job or have certain hours set aside for 'Work'. I am reading through it to give my life some meaning and strengthen my wobbly concentration. It is a useful practical little book and you can take one exercise a day and experiment with it.
on 5 March 2013
I always smile when I read Thich Nhat Hanh's prose. It's so clear, deft, and calm, not a single word out of place, yet full of deep meaning. He makes everything seem so simple. And so it is with his book 'Work', subtitled 'How to find joy and meaning in each hour of the day'.

'Work' is the perfect tool for any Buddhist who is looking to deepen their practice by integrating it further into their everyday lives. Whether you're brushing your teeth, eating your lunch, or in the middle of an important business meeting, mindfulness is achievable!

How can we deal with all that the world has to throw at us and remain clear-headed and mindful? is perhaps the book's overriding theme. And Thich Nhat Hanh continuously answers this question with joyful invention. At one point he playfully says, 'You don't need to become a full-time Buddha. You don't need to be fully enlightened. A part-time Buddha is good enough.'

But whether you're a Buddhist or not, 'Work' is a delightful read that brims with wisdom from cover to cover. It ends with a mini-manifesto entitled: 'thirty ways to reduce stress at work'.

It's an absolute gem!
on 19 June 2013
As always from Thich Nhat Hanh simple, profound and gentle advice on how to live a better life now - not tomorrow. I can't recommend this book too highly.
on 10 August 2013
As always with Thich Naht Hahn books I start reading thinking of the pure simplicity of the suggestions shared and offered in the book. A great and interesting read a come back to book to time and time again.
on 21 February 2013
I love Thich Nhat Hanhs work - reading his books, feels like massaging your brain. They bring a sense of calm and wisdom.
on 14 May 2013
Easy to read, nicely written, thought provoking. Makes a lot of sense and is very helpful. I have a couple of Thich's book and really enjoy them.
on 19 September 2013
I found the book to be very inspiring, great tips for make your work place, a great place to be instead of thinking of it as being a task.
on 1 January 2015
Everyday situations either at work or at play.....explored wonderfully. What we always take for granted...almost redefined so wonderfully....Helps us get in touch with our own higher instincts.....enjoy the read and benefit...
on 23 May 2014
Well work has got to be probably the hardest place to practice mindfulness - but I was able to briefly implement mindful sitting and walking - i'm working on the rest lol!