on 13 February 2017
Amazing book. I am a long time fan of Joe Rogan and his podcast and he has mentioned this book a few times so I bought it. I would consider this to be essential reading for artists, especially ones that are frustrated with them selves and know they have potential to create great work. Also helped me quit smoking too.
on 23 August 2017
One of the best books I've ever read on getting through the daily struggle with 'Resistance'. In my case it's artistic output and this book totally hit the spot for me. In straightforward intelligent prose, Pressfield lays resistance bare explaining how it manifests itself and how it prevents us from doing so many of the thing we'd really like to do. Far from purporting to offer an easy route out, Pressfield, who has obviously lived this book, has got to the nub of the matter and managed to lay it out for us eloquently onto the page. No easy task, he explain how we can combat the foe within and release the creative energy that builds up and eats away at our soul . A warning though, don't think there are any quick fixes here, fighting resistance is hard work and takes determination. If you can open you mind to the fact that creativity is your daily work, and nothing more than that, this book will reward you with the guidance, support and understanding you are looking for.
on 5 June 2016
I devoured this book in a day it is that good! This book is by far the best book that I have read on being a writer. It should be read by anyone who considers them a writer. The author's ideas on resistance shake you to your core. Resistance is the enemy and we must beat it to be successful. Thank you Steven Pressfield
on 17 May 2017
I had read some of Pressfield's other works and wanted to give this a read based on Joe Rogan's stellar reviews on multiple Podcasts. I enjoyed it but perhaps I expected too much. I was underwhelmed by the book itself but the principles within are helpful. I think the lessons within his other books such as Gates of Fire and The Warrior Ethos are much more better presented.
on 22 August 2014
This is a fantastic book and is full of inspiring and motivational gems whether you are a writer, entrepreneur, creator or not. If you want to accomplish ANYTHING in your life but you're struggling to get the job done, this is the book for you.

I will admit that some of the things Mr Pressfield does say I don't entirely agree with. It is difficult to see the point behind his Hitler comment as some other reviewers have pointed out - but in general if you read it with a purpose to find the lessons that will work for you - you will get a lot out of this book. It sounds like some people reached a line they didn't understand or agree with and threw the book down and rushed to their computer to review it in a temper tantrum.

Persevere with this book. It's well worth it.
on 27 August 2017
If you procrastinate or for one reason or another cannot get down to doing what you want to do this book will help you get on track. It also interestingly analyses why we put off doing things and the reasons for resisting doing them and how we rationalize not getting down to the tasks we want to do.
on 6 March 2013
There's a lot of sense and wisdom in Pressfield's book. One of the worst habits of writers and artists is procrastination. Pressfield's remedy is to turn yourself into a writing machine and surrender to your Muse. Unfortunately, the life of the writer or artist that results seems grim and joyless in Pressfield's book. The journey of mastery of any craft can indeed be a negative experience at times but Pressfield doesn't exactly sell the destination as worthwhile either.
on 25 May 2017
Well this is a revelation and yet at the same time something native to me- something I have always known and experienced but been unable to fully grasp. It's easy to get deflected away from these profound truths even after - for example I wrote SET ME FREE entirely from that seat of the Self. It is so true that there is no winning such competitions- the only win is within - coming from a place of true authenticity. Thanks Steven for giving us what you've got. Hina Belitz
on 25 August 2016
Meh! Admittedly there are a handful of helpful ideas in this book, but the holier than thou style was a constant distraction. Granted not everyone's like me so the book may be helpful to some people. But brace yourselves for preachiness.
on 31 January 2017
Stephen Pressfield urges the reader to go to war with that little devil on our shoulder he labels as 'resistance'.
Years of succumbing to that resistance taught the author one thing, that resistance must be fought at all costs to the bitter end. I found this book incredibly insightful. It brought to light my own battles with resistance and somehow gave me new found courage to face the long war ahead.
This book now has a well deserved place on my 'must reads' shelf.