on 12 January 2017
Well written, but I it seems that I was mistaken in assuming SP's book offered practical advice and guidance on dealing with resistance. I am also left wondering why it is so highly rated? Many people appear to have benefited from reading it, and I'm obviously missing (resisting?!) the point somewhere . . . I'm not prepared to dwell on it any longer, and will return it for a refund.
on 1 February 2018
I’ll be honest, this has been sitting in my reading pile for months now. I saw it referenced in an article by Tim Ferris when he was talking about ‘Tribe of Mentors’. I thought it sounded interesting and bought it on impulse. When it arrived, I thought it looked a little ‘light’ on practicalities for me and held back.

War of ArtAfter a couple of focused business books recently, I decided to give this a try this weekend – and finished it in two sittings. It is a beautifully precise book, with an economy of language – but it is also engrossing and enjoyable.

The War of Art describes the internal obstacles that inhibit success, collecting them together in a tangible, palpable collective which Pressfield describes as ‘resistance’. It’s an unseen, malevolent force that blocks so many people from achieving their true potential.

By identifying ‘resistance’, the author also helps shape the attitude and form that the reader needs to adopt, in order to go to battle. By assuming the position of a ‘professional’, he sets you up for the fight.

Fortunately, the professional is not alone in this war with resistance, in the third part of the book we read about the supportive forces we can summon to overcome our adversary.

The book is written as a set of ideas, short paragraphs or vignettes that give an incredible insight into the human psyche. At turns, the book is practical and helpful and then turns more romantic – summoning muses and angels to help the struggling reader.

The War of Art doesn’t just apply to artists and creators, but to anyone who feels resistance to anything. Resistance to moving on from the past, resistance to healing issues, resistance to moving onwards and upwards in any field. By defining the challenge and providing inspiration for the battle this book offers an eye=opening approach to the next steps.

I highly recommend The War of Art to anyone who is looking for insight into human psychology and motivation.
on 26 June 2017
Left me feeling a little short-changed, and as an atheist I was disappointed to find man's genius attributed to angels, and that we are all working in the service of a god. Still, some positive messages to be taken from it - never give up, work hard, see your vision through to the end no matter what as the work is the reward, not the 'Likes' or adulation.
on 13 February 2017
Amazing book. I am a long time fan of Joe Rogan and his podcast and he has mentioned this book a few times so I bought it. I would consider this to be essential reading for artists, especially ones that are frustrated with them selves and know they have potential to create great work. Also helped me quit smoking too.
on 23 August 2017
One of the best books I've ever read on getting through the daily struggle with 'Resistance'. In my case it's artistic output and this book totally hit the spot for me. In straightforward intelligent prose, Pressfield lays resistance bare explaining how it manifests itself and how it prevents us from doing so many of the thing we'd really like to do. Far from purporting to offer an easy route out, Pressfield, who has obviously lived this book, has got to the nub of the matter and managed to lay it out for us eloquently onto the page. No easy task, he explain how we can combat the foe within and release the creative energy that builds up and eats away at our soul . A warning though, don't think there are any quick fixes here, fighting resistance is hard work and takes determination. If you can open you mind to the fact that creativity is your daily work, and nothing more than that, this book will reward you with the guidance, support and understanding you are looking for.
on 29 October 2014
I came across this book having seen Steven's interview with Marie Forleo on her YouTube channel. Chances are that you already have a good idea about what this book is about so I won't repeat what others have written at length.

As an arch procrastinator with an embarrassingly short attention span I found the unusual structure of this book very helpful. The chapters, for want of a better word, are very short, often just a page or two and sometimes just a paragraph. However, they feel beautifully crafted with each one putting forward its meaning both concisely and powerfully (although I do find the term "Resistance" a little broad and have found substituting the word "Familiarity" helpful).

I find myself re-reading War of Art and Turning Pro quite frequently and have been through both books several times now. Each time through I seem to notice something new in the relatively few words, or maybe they are just sinking in a little more. Either way, deep down we probably already know what is being written about but it somehow helps to see it before our eyes. I find that I can pick up either book, pick a page at random and find something immediately relevant to put in the 'here and now' which is so helpful.

It feels that Steven has put a lot of himself into this book in quite an authentic and revealing way. I think anyone who has, or who is contemplating putting anything creative 'out there' will recognise the bravery in that.

Incidentally, I ordered War of Art and Turning Pro from Amazon at the same time and Turning Pro happened to turn up first, so I read it before War of Art. I'm glad I did. Although Turning Pro was written later and expands on Part 2 of War of Art, it feels more like a prequel.

I think they are both excellent books.
on 27 August 2017
If you procrastinate or for one reason or another cannot get down to doing what you want to do this book will help you get on track. It also interestingly analyses why we put off doing things and the reasons for resisting doing them and how we rationalize not getting down to the tasks we want to do.
on 5 June 2016
I devoured this book in a day it is that good! This book is by far the best book that I have read on being a writer. It should be read by anyone who considers them a writer. The author's ideas on resistance shake you to your core. Resistance is the enemy and we must beat it to be successful. Thank you Steven Pressfield
on 1 February 2014
4/5, it lost one star for the following:

-the writer only considers his own life and interpretation, sometimes other celebrities, but mainly his own and does not look at the situations that arise in other peoples lives and why they might act in certain ways.

-the book is too short, 160 pages of which many are 1 paragraph pages and blank on the next side, if condensed, would probably be less than a 100 pages.

-says some silly things like all critics who give a negative review are jealous and those who get cancer get it because there body is telling them to be there full potential, it the cancer goes once they start living happily.

the good points from the book:
-does what it says, a kick in the ass, more of a summary that you should read every so often to remind yourself where you might be slipping.
-book 1 of the 3 mini books inside is the strongest of all 3, very informative and shows you how you fall under the resistance

So overall, it is a great bit of work and when I put it down I really did enjoy it and it definitely does what it says, I just feel it could of cut down on some of the nonsense spoken and more of a description of what the writer was trying to say, instead of 1 paragraph chapters.

P.S, Many complained about the third book in which he talks about Angels and Muses, I actually think it was nicely written and related well to his own way of thinking although it was definitely the strangest part of the book but was a good interpretation on life.
on 23 October 2017
I needed this book. After reading the first chapter, I laboured over reading the final two chapters. This book could have been read in one sitting. But I was frightened to continue because in the first chapter, I had been caught out, exposed, had my fears articulated and knew that in the two remaining chapters I would be given the instructions I needed to succeed.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse