on 5 January 2012
The great thing about this book is there is nothing nebulous about it. The author is a typical person in the western world working an average job who has chosen not to identify with his mind anymore. As you will see when reading, there is nothing to look for. No recommended teachers or further reading, no quest - just the practise of mindfulness - i.e., inhabiting the 5 senses rather then your thought dramas. Like he wonderfully describes, thought is a pseudo-hypnotist which we automatically believe and when we believe it then you get every struggle with humanity we have seen so far and the reason for all our problems. The way he explains things has helped me through a difficult time in my life and I strongly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn more from a skeptical author who has spent a lot of money over the years only to find there is little that needs to be understood.
on 14 March 2012
Although i have now reached a state of being much similar to this author, i bought this primarily for a member of family but i thought i would give it a glance before hand.
I cannot praise this book enough, if like me you have spent years searching for something that resonates with your being then look no further for the essential message contained here is to clear your mind of clutter and negative thought patterns which keep you enslaved and hypnotised by the media and those in power.
Negative thought process's culminate in fear and once you are in the grip you are imprisoned into the mindset of not having enough, For those who think that we must strive to attain material objects which in all honesty has no real importance to our spiritual welfare. Dare you to let go, and trust that the universe will always provide that which is essential to our wellbeing, Once you have liberated yourself from fear the sky really is the limit.
on 11 April 2015
Barely OK.Badly written, repetitive. Said more about his slow progress in his spiritual journey than the indictment he makes about other spiritual practices. The best point was when he referred to someone who only read one book on spirituality and that was the "Power of Now". Best advice in the whole book!
Best read by skimming through, if at all
on 26 January 2012
I found the points made in this book of interest and not far removed from 'The Power of Now' and all the other 'Mindfulness' books out their. I did however feel the author made his point over and over again, to the level of irritation. My main concern though was the insistance that only the author's way was the right way and the rest of us simply did not truly want to be awake! Is there a one size fits all way of enlightenment? Is it right to make others feel inadequate if they don't reach their awakening by one particular path? Leaving the mind's clutter behind is not always 'easy' and not necessarily because those of us who find it difficult don't truly want to be awake, but perhaps because we are all different, complex individuals.
on 7 October 2012
I immediately guessed that this must be self-published by the facts that it a) is not double-spaced & b) by the vast amount of spelling and punctuation errors, e.g: "Lye's" for "lies", and "cultures learning's" for "cultures' learnings". This strikes me as unprofessional and makes for, at times, a muddling read.

Although the author does have some good ideas and say some poignant things, the book is extremely repetitive throughout. At its worse it is rambling & unclear. For example: "We are the Reality which lies beyond, and gives power to, all of the thought stuff in our mind." It is a world apart from Tolle's quiet, elegant prose.

I also feel that there is some latent anger in the author; that he disdains those who do not share his world-view or who are in a different "place" from him. Shouldn't there be total acceptance in the soul of one who claims enlightenment (such as he is presumably doing)? For example, he says: " "You should try telling them that what they believe isn't true at all, but is just a few thoughts rattling around inside their mind [...]. And then prepare to take your guard as you behold the irritation growing within them right before your eyes." .......... Is this really the calm tolerance of a person who lives moment to moment, trusting in the greater divine plan? If we are one as he says (which I DO believe) he is in fact irritating himself ("What you give, you keep" - "A Course in Miracles".)

I am afraid I did not finish this book, but I did some checking on later pages to see if it looked as though it improved ... the same things that bothered me in the first 100 pages were still rife. I struggled very much after p.73 where he spoke about his budgie who used to bang its head against its cage until it bled, concluding "maybe it was his attempt at flagellation, I can't be totally sure." I am sorry to say that anyone who fails to see why a caged bird might be harming itself, and (apparently) does nothing to rectify the situation, is not someone whose writings I wish to immerse myself in.
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 April 2012
I found the first few pages to be engaging, thought provoking and it excited me to think I had found an author who would describe his subject in a way which would change my perception of life.

However, it soon became apparent that his writing style was child-like, endlessly repetitive and irritated me. I discovered that the reason behind the repetition was that there was no depth to his discussion and that it could have been discussed and summarised within a few pages.

However, I did persevere with this book, and found the last few chapters to be interesting. I certainly felt that his message is an important one, he has described a beautiful way of life that we would do well to follow, to end the fear and anxiety we give ourselves and instead to capture the present moment and use our senses to fully engage and appreciate each moment of our lives.

In summary, although I did not enjoy the style of writing, the message contained in this book is certainly worth reading, and I am glad I found this book.
on 3 August 2011
I was going to buy ' A course in Miracles' but read a review here on Amazon that mentioned this as a more straightforward companion book to it. I decided to skip A Course In Miracles and go for this instead. I have read a lot of books on the subject of Awareness and I have to say that this is right up there with 'The Power Of Now'. Possibly even better. This book is really all you need to achieve awareness. I highly recommend it.
on 16 April 2013
A truly amazing book! It was like I was reading about myself and helped me to understand the process I was going through, it certainly brought smiles of acknowledgement as I turned over the pages.
A book I will always keep by my side.
on 18 December 2015
Excellent book and spot on, only came across it reading someone's review on another book and they recommended this one - Synchronicity - Just what I was looking for at the time, an excellent read, recommend this book.
on 10 January 2016
This book is often recommended before reading a course in miracles. I enjoyed it's simplicity ver much.