Customer reviews

on 25 September 2013
If, like me, you are a huge fan of the Noro brand you'll already know they are eye wateringly expensive but love the effect in a finished article and the ethos of the product. While the specific colourways shown in the photographs in the book may not be available in the UK the yarns of correct gauge ARE, so that needn't put you off unless you want to exactly match the colours shown. There are not a lot of patterns for the price but the motifs can also be used in your own pattern ideas. If, like me, you have a growing stack of impulse purchased Noro (grabbed for its beauty but with no clear idea what to do with it) then this book is the stash buster! Patterns very clearly explained.
on 15 March 2016
Just love this gorgeous book and have made several items from it inc scarf and shawl. Instructions are well written. I appreciate the Noro yarn is eye wateringly expensive but cheaper yarns can be used instead. This has to be my favourite ever crochet pattern book. Just started making the beaded wrist warmers in some multicolour alpaca yarn that are coming up lovely.
on 14 April 2014
one of the few crochet books I have bought where I actually would make and wear a lot of the designs! stunning colours and photography. one word of warning for beginners, I did find I had to keep another crochet book nearby for instructions on how to do some of the stitches, but I have made several of the smaller patterns and I really enjoyed them, especially the strawberry lace scarf, lovely to make and looks way more complicated than it is! to me anyway! highly recommended. shame noro wool so expensive or i'd have a go at all of it!!
on 17 July 2017
I bought a pack of Noro yarn and didn't want to just make socks so I bought this beautiful book. Not yet made anything, but I want to make several of the designs. I will update this with his well written it is when I do. It's in US terms.
on 7 December 2014
I think this is the best of the Noro series. Best for ideas, best for accent items, and a variety of skill levels for crochet. Very inspirational.
on 6 December 2012
Made the boxy jacket already and it's a fave and much admired.- the jacket that is. Beautiful photography turns it into coffee-table book . Is USA version so downside is most colourways NOT AVAILABLE at all in UK or already discontinued .The Noro yarns'' make'' the designs and you'll need a long colourway change yarn if you are going to substitute or you will lose the striping effects. Noro yarn is expensive in the UK and the colourways in the book are mostly limited to USA distributors.
on 21 September 2014
Crochet Noro is a lovely book. The photography within is gorgeous and it really sets the designs off, making you want to go out and buy huge armfuls of the beautiful Noro yarns used and get started making the lot!
Noro yarns are stunning and come in a smorgasbord of colours that would brighten any wardrobe. If like me you are new to its delights though, you may want to be sitting down when you see the price tag as it can be eye wateringly expensive. That said the results are so worth it!

The projects in this book have been graded into 4 skill levels, beginner, easy, intermediate, and experienced. I'm a confident beginner and having read through all the patterns nothing seems unattainable with a little time and patience.
All the designs come with clear written instructions (US terms) as well as visual diagrams where needed and assembly diagrams for the motif shawls.
There are 30 projects to choose from, ranging from weekend makes to longer more challenging garments.
The projects are:
Shell Stitch Wristers
Beaded Lace Shawl
Puff Stitch Cowl
Felted Tote Bag
Floral Necklace
Boxy Cardigan (lots of friends want one of these)
Strawberry Lace Scarf
Bias Mini Skirt
Sleeveless Tunic
Bobbled Mitts
Flower Motif Blanket
Swirl Tam (beret style hat)
Shell scarf
V-Nexk Pullover
Bobbled hat (gorgeous!)
Short Row Scarf
Lacy Capelet
Nesting Bowls
Shades Of Blue Shawl ( the beautiful cover design)
Engineer Cap ( my fave!)
Granny Square Purse
Granny Triangle Cowl
Cap Sleeve Cardigan ( very pretty and my current project-only 3 balls of wool needed too)
Chevron Hat
Ruffled Scarf
Shell Stitch Tunic ( could easily tun this into a dress)
Chrysanthemum Shawl
Daisy Chain Scarf
Flower Blossom Purse ( on my daughters xmas list)
Buttons and Flowers Shawl.

The book uses Silk Garden and Silk Garden Lite, Silk Garden Sock, Taiyo, Taiyo Sock, Kureyon and Shirato yarns.
Most of the garments (cardigans, tunics and shawls) are in the lighter sock weight yarns which is a but of an adjustment if like me you started with a chunkier yarn, but so far I haven't found any difficulties obtaining the gauges.

In summary Crochet Noro is well worth the purchase price as its enjoyable both as something beautiful and inspiring to look through, and the projects themselves are lovely.
I also recently bought some Lang Jawoll Magic yarn on special offer which isnt a bad substitute at all for Noro.
Happy crocheting!
on 21 October 2013
As an avid crocheter, I search endlessly for contemporary designs that I would actually wear.......Well this gorgeous book is full of them. As you would expect from Noro the colours are sumptuous and they have been used to their best advantage in this selection of patterns.

There is something for every level of skill here.....most are for the intermediate crocheter, but with a bit of time and determination even a total beginner could do about 90% of the patterns.

I have made both cardigans now and they look absolutely fabulous with my jeans and denim skirts etc. I am a Boden, White Stuff, Sea Salt, Phase Eight kind of girl so if you have similar tastes you will find lots in this book to keep your fingers and your wardrobe happy!

I'm making the Bobbled Beany and Fingerless Gloves next.......wool already purchased and packed in my case ready for my holiday!
on 5 December 2012
the pictures are amazing in this book and make you want todive in and make every item. the only problem i had not forseen is that the wool is so very expensive. i think it will be a little while before i can make these beautiful creations but it is a beautiful book just to own and look through
on 23 January 2014
This is a lovely book with a great variety of patterns using a variety of Noro yarn weights. Can't wait to start crocheting!