Customer reviews

on 11 June 2012
Comprehensive content including: seats, suit, life support, controls. How to fly, where the bonnet/hood release is, thrusters, landing pads, sensors...everything the pilot needs to understand this no-nonsense craft. All reproduced in black ink from the original Grumman tech manual with plenty of photos and diagrams. Not so chunky (decent paperback novel thickness) but packed with fascinating information and practically unknown insights into how the equipment and facilities influenced what these brave men were able to achieve in the unforgiving lunar and space environments. A great document for engineers, designers and anyone interested in the 'transitional' aerospace technology of the 1960s. A functional, concise document that makes you wonder how we'd do it differently today. Most of the problems were solved and designs produced by guys who grew up in aircraft/marine/military engineering without any digital tech to hand. As I read I started to think about the organisational structure required to get humans on the moon and back (politically driven or not) and was freshly respectful of the men and women who delivered the dream.
on 25 January 2013
This manual was originally published in 1964 and is therefore not accurate. It describes an early iteration of the dESign with circular hatch on the front of the LEM and fuel cells (changed for batteries in the final design). The section on exploration of the lunar surface suggests that only one astronaut at a time would be working outside the LEM.

A fascinating read nevertheless .
on 10 January 2016
I didn't read it myself - it was a gift for someone who is an engineer and is very interested in space exploration, and he loved it! He found it very interesting reading how it worked. It's good for engineers, I think.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 January 2015
Being a space nut I just had to. Also I bought it to help me with my forth coming Novel 'Adventures into Technology, the fourth Slick Moaner adventure.

Check out my latest Novel 'Adventures into Danger' Slick Moaners first adventures.