on 4 May 2017
These are fun books, easy to read, good stories, humoured and a tad crazy.
on 24 March 2011
I have read all the 'Jack' Daniels books and enjoyed each one. The humour between Jack, Harry and Herb has helped make those reads enjoyable and that is not missing from this book although overall it is not the best in the series. Personally I think they have run their course especially as each one has got progressively inventive with the violence inflicted by the killers leaving Konrath little scope to develop further. Although well written, I did not really enjoy the three section writing style employed this time around but once again the humourous interaction between the three main characters kept me interested.
on 5 May 2017
Loved this story , it's the best one I've read in the jack Daniels series so far , off to meet Luther now :).
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Firstly, the good points. The heroine, Jack Daniels, is strong, feisty, funny and entirely believable. Secondly, the book succeeds in building up a good deal of suspense as we follow Jack's efforts to escape from a psychopathic serial killer who has kidnapped her. However, there was too much gore. One expects some blood and gore when reading a book about a serial killer, but this was excessive and unnecessary. I always feel that if an author has to resort to gore to create tension then he has failed - tension should be created through the plot. In addition, the 3 killers featured are all completely over the top - like pantomine villains. Some of the situations described are also just not believable. For example, there is a scene when Jack has her leg smashed with a sledgehammer but even with a badly broken leg she manages to fight off and escape from a huge, violent killer who is at least twice as big as she is. The ending was also far fetched but I won't spoil the story by revealing it here. All in all, this was a mixed bag. Not a bad read, but not a great one either.
on 28 June 2013
Although I enjoyed jack daniels stories, I found this one very poor, more like the movie SAW, shame really. minus.
on 4 September 2013
Enjoyed the other Jack Daniels didn't like this one bit. I won't be reading another! To much gore yuck. Not enough humour.
VINE VOICEon 11 May 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book tells the story of Detective (and ex Police Officer) Jack Daniels and her career long fixation with a serial killer "Mr K". It's told in a series of short chapters, each set in a different year from the previous chapter. Whilst each year has its own storyline and characters and the book jumps between them, it cleverly draws all the the stories and in to one exciting ending whilst the clock continues to count down....

I loved this book, I found it fast paced but simply enough written for you to be able to keep track of what was happening in each year. if the story had been any more complicated, the numerous strands would not have been as easy to follow.

Its not the most taxing read that you will pick up this year - but its a good read all the same.
on 4 February 2014
The JD series have been fun. Each book stands alone and yet I feel like I have been on a journey with Jack through the whole series. I have read Stirred now and I can't imagine only reading one without the other. Actually although this book can be read on its own, there is a higher level of pleasure from knowing the character JD well. Get into the series first, then read Shaken. But make sure you have quick access to Stirred.
VINE VOICEon 3 April 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a newcomer to J A Konrath this was my first taste of Jack Daniels and I can't say I will be repeating the experience. Part Stephanie Plum part Kay Scarpetta, but the intended sum of the suspected parts just doesn't add up. By only a few pages in I felt the author could have been a teenaged school boy with an overactive, hormone filled, video game fuelled imagination. The plots and procedures were weak and incredulous. Mixing shocking torture scenes with what can only be described as puerile humour just didn't do it for me. Obvious and predictable references to early technologies were tedious. The narrative jumps backwards and forwards through time like a yo-yo leaving you feeling like you are reading 3 novels at once. The author addresses this at the start with "I'm pretty sure my readers have the mental prowess to follow this skewed timeline". Ha. Emperor's New Clothes more like.

Janet Evanovich's Plum is sassy stylish and funny, and Cornwell's Scarpetta is serious, professional and highly credible. Konrath's Jack Daniels is none of the above.
VINE VOICEon 17 April 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Oh I am totally hooked on this author now! I have never read anything by Konrath before, but when the postie brought this book, I opened it immediately and flicked through, then sat down and started reading-- and hardly drew breath until I finished the entire book a few hours later.
The story alternates between past and present,and this works well, it's not muddled or confusing. It follows the career of "Jack" Daniels" and how she has come to be in her present terrifying predicament.
I like detective novels and read a lot of them, but I have NEVER been so frightened by fiction.(The gore is probably too much for anyone very squeamish.) My heart was racing along with the victim's and I nearly turned to the last page to find out if she survived because the suspense was so great and I was gasping for a cuppa coffee and a wee. I love the author's sense of humour, and there's a lot of that in the book,and also some very cleverly observed interactions between friends/lovers/workmates. The discussion about the causes of evil gave food for thought,too.
Just when you think the story has come to its conclusion, Konrath almost takes you full circle, back to the beginning--but now it is the FUTURE that is scary.
I have already tracked down more books by Konrath. Read him for yourself,and enjoy the adrenaline rushShaken (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Mysteries) (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels Series)!