on 21 February 2011
I got this book with a view to find lots of ways to interact and help my autistic son learn. I ended up with a lot more than that. What made this book different than others is that it gives you advice on everyday activities like haircuts, and fussy eaters, it even has recipes for edible clay! It seems to cover every subject. I think if this was the first book we bought when our son was first diagnosed, we would have found things a whole lot easier.Even though we already have a lot of books on lots of subjects of autism, this book seems to offer us something new. Thoroughly reccommended! great index at the back too!
on 28 September 2011
I live in a European country in which Austism is very rare (and unknown to most) and support services and therapies that are common or commonly known in the USA and UK are virtually non-existent. I am always combing the internet for suggestions through websites or books on how to help my son and the title of this book definitely caught my eye. Unfortunately it is a huge disappointment. I did not find any new information and I would say at least 75% of this book is common sense for any parent, let alone a parent of a child with HFA/Asperger's. Social skills tips such as teaching your child to say 'hello' and 'goodbye', 'please' and thank you' at the appropriate times, or using reward systems such as a sticker chart to reinforce behaviors are basic at best. Under "matters of choice" the author suggsts limiting choices to two or three items instead of more than that. Under "meals and mealtimes" the author suggests no thank you tastes if a child is resistant to a certain food and allowing the child to help with meal preparation to encourage interest in mealtimes. The author also suggests "setting up an environment that encourages him to try and succeed". Hmmm. Under this heading suggestions include: allowing the child to learn to make a snack for himself, putting a stool in the kitchen so the child can wash his own hands or put a plate in the sink on his own, allowing the child to move clothes from the washer to the dryer, etc. Well, duh. I possibly might recommend this book to parents who are very new to the HFA/Asperger's diagnosis and have no idea where to begin but if you have any experience at all living with a HFA child (or any child, NT or HFA, for that matter) this book is sure to be a waste of time and money.
on 12 June 2011
Has loads of info in this book for everyday life including school.
Very helpful!
A must for all parents of autistic children.
Highly recommended and worth every penny.
on 11 May 2014
Simple, clear, user friendly. I have gained such insight and been able to apply ideas immediately and easily into my classroom environment. I have also recommended this book to parents of children with autism. Many thanks to the authors for their excellent advice. :-)
on 2 January 2011
A really useful book, well set out with a contents and an index. Everyone I have showed it to uses it.
on 9 June 2013
As the title says - 'Great Ideas' also informative. Easy to read as a parent, teacher or grandparent or just to dip into. Highly recommended
on 27 May 2014
I liked 987 of the ideas. I didn't care for the other 14. Of the 987 I would say that I particularly enjoyed 678.
on 16 October 2012
This book has many great ideas for helping a person on the autistic spectrum, excellent for the extreme autistic not so good for high functioning or asperger's, overall though a good buy.
on 17 December 2012
Book ok - not as helpful as hoped. Will retain for future reference and for general use by family members.
on 21 November 2015
Brilliant book a must have for anyone with an Autistic person in their family