Format: Board book|Change

on 9 August 2010
The book is called 'Charley Harper ABC's' not 'Charley Harper Animal ABC's' and is a beautiful way to teach your children their ABC's and introduce them into the wonderful world of phonics. The fact that not all letters are represented by animals I find a refreshing bonus and often find that these pages lead to lovely discussions with my daughter about concepts such as being underwater. I do agree with other reviewers that it is sad that the quality of a handful of graphics aren't up to scratch but on the whole this is a beautiful book.
on 4 October 2009
Lovely illustrations in a durable, good sized board book.

Agree with earlier comment about printing quality being poor on some pages (Y is for Yak), I imagine the illustrations were not originally intended as an ABC book and some of the images have been enlarged beyond what they should be. However, the book is still lovely and a child would never notice the print issues.
on 8 September 2009
I bought this book for my 1.5 yr. old son, and also for myself as I have always liked Harper's illustrations. The book itself is very strongly bound and the pages cardboard so suitable for kids.

The book starts off well; A is for Ape, B is for Bird... etc. but then you get to 'N is for Nest', as far as I know a nest is not an animal? Nor is 'U for Underwater' or 'W for Web', but I can excuse the X page as I cant think off-hand an animal starting with X. My point is this is not easy to explain to a child why they are all animals apart from 4 spreads, I still suspect my son thinks 'underwater' is an animal, so that is my first criticism.

My second is the reproduction quality. A couple of the images are reproduced very poorly and look like blurry low quality scans than images fit for print. This may not bother most of you (or you kids) as the illustrations are great but being a graphic designer it does disappoint me.

Having said that I am still happy I bought it and my kid loves it.
on 12 January 2011
I loved this a book as soon as it arrived, and my son and his daughter loved it too. She is only 17 months, but already likes to look at pictures in books. I don't understand the comment about some pictures not being of animals - it doesn't say that this is an animal ABC, so what is the problem? The only page I think is a bit odd is X, but then it isn't an easy letter. As regards the comments about Y for Yak being of poor quality - it isn't in my copy, it's a lovely colour illustration.
on 3 February 2011
This is a lovely book with beautiful illustrations, but it was clearly made by an artist and not a writer because it doesn't support the learning of letter sounds properly. In this book A is for ape, G is for giraffe and O is for owl, none of which starts with the sound that we teach children its initial letter represents. What's wrong with alligators, groundhogs and otters?

I wish he had considered the way parents would read the book to children when planning it. We would say "B is for bird, b-b-bird." You can't do that if A is for ape.

This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, and one of the drawbacks of buying books online rather than in a bookstore where you can check these things out before you buy.

On the upside, the illustrations are really lovely and I like the fact that he knows the difference between a monkey and an ape.
on 10 January 2011
Absolutely gorgeous illustrations, very nice book to have on any coffee table!!

I first saw this book in a trendy on-line baby store. I then found it on Amazon for a fraction of the RRP.

I am so happy with this book I also bought it for a friends baby, they love it too.

Would definitely recommend it, its a nice alternative to the usual baby ABC books, and a book that my 15 month old son loves to look at.
on 13 March 2012
Please see my review for the Charley Harper flashcards set. My comments regarding the illustrations is pretty much the same. I think it was overkill my buying both the flashcards and the book. Not a favourite with my daughter.
on 12 January 2012
This book is absolutely beautiful, I bought it for my son and then gave it to several other children as presents because it is so lovely! Makes a great gift.
on 30 July 2014
gorgeous, gorgeous illustrations, and great for teaching little ones about animals. Just wish it said "ladybird" rather than "ladybug"
on 4 May 2013
Lovely pictures, more for the grown ups. as with 123's, it's about teaching them tasteful design rather than the alphabet.