Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 June 2012
I am a few chapters in, having already learned Ruby through the pragprog 1.9 book (excellent). I am disappointed and confused and have had to use another book (Simply Rails 2, Patrick Lenz) to actually teach me the things that this book just prints examples on.

It's like "Watch this! Type these lines in and see how easy it is - see! We'll explain how it all works later" and on to the next subject. I find this very poor as it leaves me wondering what I am supposed to have learned and I end up spending my time looking up strange convolutions of syntax (or lack of bracketing) that they have done with no explanation.

Maybe if you already knew Rails this would make sense. For me, I had to get another book, which I am now reading. As I cover chapters on the book that teaches RoR, I dip back into this one to see what this "Agile" running, chapter-to-chapter "Science Project" is doing. Basically I am trying to get my moneys worth ;)

Maybe it will get better as I go on, but I am an experienced programmer (Assembly -> C++) and have found it pretty confusing so far. Don't make this your only book if you do buy it.
on 2 May 2011
I just received and have gone through the first few chapters in a few hours. There is no point in buying any other book to learn RoR. You can tell how deep an understanding of their subject these guys have by how easy it is to follow. Simply magnificent. You will gain a more fundamental insight to Ruby and Rails as you go through this.
on 1 August 2011
I come from a Java/NET/PHP background and found this book very easy to read and helped me get a site up and running in 2 weeks.

My wife is a web designer with zero programming background yet she was able to read bits if this book and pick up on how to use views and controllers to the point she never needed to ask me to help.

Very good book for both experienced developers coming from other languages needing a start and for beginners.
on 23 July 2011
The early parts of this book involve building a site which sounded to me like a great approach in practice I'd have far preferred if the author had spent a bit of time explaining each of the fundamentals before showing them used. I say this as I find it far easier to learn at least a little about something before using it. In addition I find books written in that style easier as they aren't so full of forward references (as in "we'll explain this further here"). So some may enjoy the style but if you learn as I do then this book is not for you.

One other smallish issue to be aware of is that the code examples don't display properly on a kindle as the screen isn't large enough.
on 13 January 2012
This is one of the best RoR books (if not one of the best computer books) that I've read.

Very clear explanations, creating a genuinely impressive website in just a few short steps, with explanations on what's going on. As a long-term Microsoft developer, new to all this command-line stuff, it was a breath of fresh air.

The problem.. Ruby on Rails is moving so fast that even though this is one of the newest books on the subject, even the April 2011 version is out of date. Using the latest Ruby downloads, files are no longer stored in the same "standard" place as they were a year ago, some of the commands have subtly changed, filenames have changed, etc.

So, I would recommend that potential buyers SHOULD buy this book, but buy it from Pragmatic Bookshop's own website. They do actually keep it updated there, so for about £16, you get the latest Kindle, PDF and epub versions. And they'll even email you when there's a new update, or send it to your Dropbox account.

(Just to show a little less bias, I wish someone would update the "Ruby on Rails for Dummies" book. This was also an excellent book, extremely clear, but most of it's info is five years out of date.)
on 14 July 2012
Really loved the section where the authors take you through the development of a shopping cart app. Great to see how rails supports the agile development process. My ruby skills are rudimentary but that did not impact too much.
on 4 February 2012
This was one of my first Ruby / RoR books and it paid for itself in the first couple of chapters.

There is only one way to approach RoR and that is to 'do' it. This book takes you though the
creation of a complete eCommerce application whilst deftly showcasing the sheer brilliance
of Rails and, by association, Ruby.

But please, do yourself a favor and get the book from the publisher: [...]
Revisions are available at no additional cost!
on 12 March 2014
This is a great book. Thanks a lot. I now make a living from Rails thanks to this book. Good example.
on 31 March 2016
Great book, if you are past the beginner level in Rails, and you still work with legacy 3.2 apps.
on 16 January 2015