on 13 January 2013
The first half of the book was very insightful and I took a lot away from it. The second half of the book was mostly a re-hash of the standard sort of management training. Now for a lot of developers this might be un-obvious and new, but for me, the "this is really landing" with me waned greatly. It almost felt as it was being "stretched" to fill the void.

On the other hand, the first half of the book is worth the read and the price of the book.
on 1 June 2017
classic - must read
on 18 May 2009
I had this book on my Wish List for a long time before I decided to buy it. Why? I figured that yet another book on mind mapping and other brain train techniques would not add an awful lot what I already knew. Boy was I wrong. Yes, brain training is a good part of this book but it offers far more than that. The Dreyfus model does not only help you to place yourself on your own journey to being an expert (if that is what you want) but it also provides invaluable insights into how to work with others, keeping their strengths and weaknesses in clear sight. Next, getting in the right 'brain mode' will help you to apply those brain train methods far more effectively than you'll have done until now. At least it did for me. Andy explains just how to tune your mind to the right frequency to pick up all those little nuggets of gold that would normally get lost in the static.

I could go on like this for a while, mentioning 'brain debugging', personal investment plans or how I actually started applying the deliberate learning techniques outlined in this book while reading it and came out with a far more ready recollection of its content, even weeks later. But in short, you should get this book. Personally I think it has been incorrectly categorized as being a computer science book. The information in this book will apply to you whether you are a computer scientist, work in sales or manage your local cooking club as a hobby.
on 9 June 2009
An easy read brimming with usefull methods and techniques that will help you increase your learning and retention pace whatever skill you wish to acquire/develop even if the primary audience is programmers. Amongst many insightful tips the author suggests to "Plan your investment in learning deliberately" I believe this book to be a very good first step in that direction.
on 23 June 2013
I initially had to choose between paper and Kindle Edition and am glad I went for paper! The mindmap at the beginning would definitely not have looked as good or been as readable in Kindle Edition.

The book is very well laid out and walks through the ideas in quite a logical manner. Some of the techniques I had read about previously, although many new techniques that I was not previously aware of! Mainly that your brain needs some time off!

I would recommend this to any new programmer or young professional starting out in their chosen field.
on 4 September 2012
For the last twenty years, I have been very much a classic data driven engineer. I made a decision six month's ago to change my career and try to harness the creativity, I know that I have deep down within me.

Well, this book opened my eyes to a completely different style of thinking...
I now begin to understand, where the creative power within Google, Apple and the like comes from.
Up until now, I could not see the connection between a bean bag or table tennis table in the office and the creative process.

The book explains:
- the process from moving from Novice to Expert
- How to begin to harness the power of the creative side of the brain
- How to 'really' read and learn from books
- Along with numerous exercises and tips

I am busy starting out, trying to find out how I can build "morning pages" and other exercises into my hectic morning routine.

Don't be put off by "Pragmatic Programmers", there is an awful lot of useful stuff for anyone seeking to "refactor", upgrade, re-configure or even CHANGE the way go about things through enhancing their creative side.

An excellent, useful and most of all readable book.
on 28 June 2012
In this book, Andy shows you how the human mind works when it comes to learning new stuff or to being creative and getting bright ideas. Andy is a software developer, and he naturally bases the book on this, but the book is really for anybody who wants to become more creative and better at learning new things. Besides elaborating on how the mind works, Andy gives you lots of practical and pragmatic tools and excercises, that will help you come up with brighter ideas more often, and that will make you remember new learnings better. Really an excellent book!
on 11 November 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Pragmatic Thinking and Learning. Having studied the Cognitive Sciences many years ago I was pleasantly surprised to see that the basic practices and strategies for active learning haven't changed that much over the years.

More importantly though it inspired me to start applying the techniques and strategies I long since forgotten about. Yep, I've even bought myself a moleskin note book.

It's a pretty easy read so there's no real reason not to read it yourself if you're interested in learning.

Enjoy,
Michael.McD
on 12 August 2009
This is a wonderful book!

I would definitely recommend this book to all of you that are responsible for coaching others. You'll learn how people learn, how your brain works, what reasoning traps you might fall into and lot more...

As someone said "with awareness comes responsability" and this book was indeed the source of many "Aha!" moments that helped me become aware.

Once again, great book!
on 15 February 2010
I have enjoyed reading this book, clearly written in a friendly style with plenty of good ideas on how to think differently, so you can work smarter and more effectively. Heavily biased to the work of programming, however the ideas can be applied to any field of work, creativity or living.