Customer reviews

on 29 March 2009
Fade to pale is a very disturbing novel that tracks the life of the main character Rita as she deals with her past and present demons. When I bought this book I was expecting to read a run of the mill story of a woman dealing with an abusive past, and I was wrong. This book is so much more.
Cheetham's use of language is difficult to grasp at first, it seems to be overly descriptive and poetic, not the sort of language you usually find in a horror/thriller type book, but as you read, it becomes apparent why. What he does is, rather than allowing us to watch the story unfold from a comfortable and distant viewpoint, he takes us into Rita's head. We suffer with her, we feel the confusion she feels, we become part of the balancing act of her life. He has managed to capture the feeling of helplessness and despair that comes with depression more closely than any other book I've read.
But that's not all there is. Without giving too much away, Fade to pale also provides more than enough entertainment for horror fans. There are twists and turns everywhere, and just when you think you know where it's all going, he grabs you by the hair, slaps you around and throws you back in to suffer the consequences.
I would say that if you like simple slash horrors then maybe this isn't for you, but if, like me, you prefer a book that makes you think, then this should take pride of place on your bookshelf.