on 16 April 2017
Packed with useful how to guides on everything you'll need to know to fix your trusty bike. The book starts out with a quick run on all the different tools used for maintenance so you get a good idea on what tools you need to start out with or what you might want to add to your tool kit. The first chapter goes over the basic stuff on checking over the bike and doing some routine checks, releasing brakes and removing/installing the wheels and cleaning the drive chain. Following that there's a chapter on emergency repairs and then chapters on chains, transmission, wheels, brakes, cranks and bottom brackets, pedals, saddles and seat posts, wheel building, forks, frames and lastly cycling computers.
In the Appendix section at the back a trouble shooting section helps out in finding out and solving problems. Then sections on gear development, mountain bike fitting, a torque table, pedal and cleat compatibility and lastly a glossary before the index at the end of course. The explanations are given very clearly in step by step instructions on what to do and how to do it and there are lots of exploding diagrams which show how bike parts work and go together so you can see how to go about your maintenance or fix it job.
If you want a trusty guide along side you whist taking apart and reassembling bike components then this book will serve you well.
on 23 May 2017
Not a bad book however only gives hints as to the maintenace on my particular bike, e.g. disc brakes, however the cause of the squeaks and grumbles is explained, so I can avoid this in future. Also handy tips on perhaps a cheap fix, rather than renew. The book is generally good and easy to read, but very general if looking a for handbook for your exact bike.
on 20 July 2017
Very good and help me do the jobs needed on my Eddy Merckx road bike with traditional brakes. Just a bit more of study required to do the jobs you need to do rather than just read once and crack on with the job if you know what I mean.
on 4 July 2017
Very detailed and clear. Love it.
on 4 June 2017
Useful publication
on 2 July 2013
The best bike maintenance book I have found. Covers virtually every subject and most types of kit and manufacturers in a clear and concise way.
on 27 April 2013
This is a remarkable book: I had the huge tome unpacked and by the end of the second espresso had learned 5 things about chains that so far had eluded me.
Every topic is covered from every angle and there are some very clever "get-you-homes" that I wouldn't have believed possible but are so smart they've got to be true.
Bought as I have just upped my cycling to a second bike and I wanted to learn a little bit more about the mechanics and maintenance of the 900 quid machine I have just purchased: I have already.
It's one of those books that you cannot stop yourself picking up as you go past and selecting at random a topic which invariably ends up illuminating.
It's first use on the workstand will no doubt repay the purchase price and you cannot ask for more than that.
Well pleased.
on 19 December 2013
I'm relatively new to the self maintenance of my bikes, so after giving up on hit and miss results with youtube decided to order a decent book as a guide for maintenance. After reading a lot of reviews decided on this one...after having to do some work on my bike I have to say I am very happy with the book...detailed descriptions and Zinn goes over everything very thoroughly.

This book also has a detailed maintenance schedule wich can lessen the odds of you having a major malfunction a 100 miles from home.

Buy this book if you have basic knowledge of bicycle maintenance and want to further your knowledge on cycling and bike maintenance. If you are cant stand technical information and just want a basic book to help you out, you are probably better off with the Park Tools bicycle maintenance guide or a lot of patience on youtube
on 28 April 2017
Excellent book . Every thing is fully explained and easy to follow. I will be doing all my own bike maintenence now . You could easily 'build' a bike from parts using this book.
on 11 January 2017
Good for people who want to know more about their bikes. Want to know what to do if you have an accident in the middle of nowhere.