on 1 October 2012
Just got this book, having had a Powertap since the spring. I found it very helpful to understanding how to use it better and how to use it to make my training plan for next year. I have both Friel's 'Cyclists training bible' and the Coggan book (Training and Racing with a Power Meter [Paperback] Hunter Allen (Author), Andrew Coggan (Author)). However, this new book has explained things much more quickly and in a more practical way. Using the book and my records of rides this summer has helped me to pinpoint the difference in my training that led to a boost in my power this year and I hope to use this knowledge to boost again!
on 1 June 2017
Excellent read, very specific examples and guidance that can be applied to improve anyone's training whether a novice or experienced cyclist
on 16 December 2012
If you have a power meter and find Hunter Allen just a bit too technical, this is perfect. Joe Friel writes in a very down to earth and practical way enabling you to get all the key points you need to structure your training.
on 19 March 2017
Great book . A must buy if you have a power meter . Well explained in simple language with many examples. Great value , worth every penny
on 17 October 2017
OK.
on 25 February 2014
Good Book, does get technical in the second half - but a read if you are interested in training with power.

The 1/2 half is invaluable in giving why you train with power, how to set your zones etc.

It does loose a star as it repeats itself too many times.
on 5 July 2017
the one to have power meter bible
on 12 August 2017
lots of detail but also accessible for the first time power meter user. Highly recommended
on 8 December 2014
A very informative read. Easily set-out. After reading this book; you come to realise if you are not training with the benefit of a power metre, it is like riding your bike; with only half the the required amount of air, in your tyres.
It would have been nice to have actual training plans - I suppose they want you to buy another book for this!
In conclusion; if you want increase you overall riding-racing ability this a truly a great book.
The book for me is four stars and not five; because of the absence of consise traing plans.
on 10 February 2017
I'm a triathlete and well acquainted with Joe and his various training manuals. I like the scientific approach to training methods. It's taken me a while to bring myself to hand over the cash for a power meter. Although I have been measuring power on my turbo for some years to help my training through the winter, I've never quite been sure what measuring power on the road would give me. So the power meter felt a rather frivolous purchase. Having picked up another of Joe's manuals, this book got recommended to me and the summary looked like I might make more use of the power meter than I previously anticipated, so I thought I'd buy a copy. I am so glad I did. It has opened my eyes to another level of training, a level whereby I can take the doubt out of a lot of training and performance questions - such as monitoring training load, and most importantly for me, predicting your performance for a given race. As Joe says, it's almost like cheating. I certainly feel now that I was at a disadvantage without one in races. It's all there in the data, you just need to know how to elicit it and use it. Although most helpful for steady-state races such as triathlon and time-wise, Joe also examines a power meter's usefulness where races require surges (match-burning) to be a contender as the finish line approaches. In many ways this is is the best of Joe's books that I own. I really want tri friends of mine to read it to understand how beneficial a power meter can be, and to influence them in buying a power meter.