on 12 December 2012
Well-written and straightforward enough for an enthusiastic amateur to deal with most eventualities. Takes you from the basics of sorting a puncture without a puncture kit right up to removing and reinstalling your groupset.
on 14 January 2015
I got the soft back version.
Great book - surprisingly large A4 format - full of illustrations and breakdowns of what to do and how.
It covers every aspect of routine and non-routine maintenance including what to do when something breaks .
The text is clear - isn't too technical and is clearly written by someone who is well used to stripping down a bike to its frame and re-building it.
Even if you have no intentions of doing this - if you own a bike, you should pick up a copy of this book as your "go-to" in the event that you need to do something .... A must have.
on 23 October 2011
I love this book. Lots of nerdy detail delivered in an easy to read format with a good sense of humour.
(Reminds me a bit of "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" a well known book amongst vintage campervan and beetle owners.)
Gives me the confidence to tackle any job on my bike and saves me a fortune on workshop bills.
I'm even considering a go at wheel building!
on 24 September 2009
This is a really great book for all of those like myself who thought we knew how to do all the basic stuff required on a bike.
However, even those like me who have ridden since childhood and have taken bits apart and replaced various items will find something here to delight them. On new bikes there are often slight changes to the ones we rode as kids and this book will show you what all those screws do as well as how to adjust gears and brakes, etc.
on 14 July 2012
precise descriptions and detailed illustrations makes this book the absolute best bike book ever written. I had my doubts when I saw that the illustrations were drawn, but I must admit that they make more sense than most pictures featured in other books.
on 19 June 2012
Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance
There are some reviewers who have criticised the book for being too lightweight. It is not a book for full time mechanics but for the person who is willing & able to learn.
This book is a great help. It is very comprehensive, no-nonsense and practical. Procedures are explained as are the why's and wherefores of a bicycle, from changing an inner tube on the road to stripping down bottom brackets, it's all here.
For the keen cyclist who wishes to understand his bike and how it works, this book hits all the right buttons with good illustrations and toolkit suggestions you really can't go wrong.
on 8 May 2012
After deciding to start cycling again for long distance I needed to fix my bike but was struggling to figure it out on the fly. This book is written essentially as a racebike instruction manual for each section of the bike and not much nonsense on the side.

A lot of material is wasted because they covered the main brands and types of parts but in doing so they most likely cover the one you have as well (as was the case for myself).

My 'repairs' were mostly about fine-tuning things like the brakes and gears - not so much physically repairing - and I got everything I needed out of this book.
on 8 May 2011
This book is excelent. The author has a wealth of experince but is never patronising and his instructions are clear and easy to follow. Reading the book has given me the knowledge and confindence to undertake many complex tasks I previously had to pay my local cycle shop to carry out. If you own raod bike, and you actually ride it you should buy this book
on 6 July 2010
I commute about 90 miles a week on a touring bike, so I often need to tweak and tune. This book works very well for that, and I consult it frequently. I'd also recommend it for anyone about to buy a road bike - it will certainly help you choose the right frame and fit it out best for you.
on 17 April 2012
This is the most comprehensive bike manual I have ever read. It is written in an easy to understand style with plenty of good illustrations.
It also covers older Bikes as well as the latest top of the range technology.
An excellant buy.