on 26 August 2012
Filled with very usefull information for all, novice upwards. I found it a great help just prior to my first adventure race.
on 28 August 2014
I bought this book several years ago and just noticed while reviewing something else that I hadn't reviewed it. I've never read this book cover to cover ... but I have used it as a reference. I've read areas of the book that are relevent to me at the time .... and I would say I've probably read 90% of the book over the years. It's very detailed and informative ... certainly a very useful reference book for any Triathlete.
on 13 January 2014
I have been following Joe's blog for a while so I knew what to expect. This is a big book and will take a while to finish but from what I have read so far it is a great tool for the self coached triathlete.
on 26 December 2013
Ace book. I am just getting into triathlon and its been used as a great tool to build a triathlon plan that can grow with me as I improve. Ace.
on 12 January 2014
Picked up many good tips for training, racing and diet. I'm hoping it will help me achieve this years goals
on 14 February 2013
Theres a wealth of triathlon information on the market. Some better than others, this one is well worth a read.

However, if like me you're buying this thinking it's going to be the kind of book you can read in one hand while drinking coffee with the other, forget it! The book is a large A4 size thing and quite floppy. So it's one to read at a table rather than in bed.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 November 2014
Wow! This is a comprehensive book. Having read it through its now time to go back to the beginning and read it again. This time making notes and making a plan!
It's nicely set out. I particularly like the fact that sports science is referenced fairly liberally. I've now also got Triathlon Science by the same author. Just skimming through that at the weekend it seems to add more background information to support this book.
As with all text book style information it's basically sound, but getting dated as each day passes. Definitely worth the money. It would be great if there were the resources to link to the web for any relevant updates and the forms and plans at the back. I got both the printed and Kindle version. I would definitely get the printed version. Easier to skip back and forwards, keeping your finger in the page you're reading while looking at other bits (eg training plans).
It's about plannng, rather then a the minutiae, so,each area: swim, bike, run is covered. The coverage is reasonable, but needs further depth - this would make the book huge.
on 29 April 2010
Only read the first few chapters so far, but very impressed. It is very clear and accessible, no mucking about and very informative. Very well written and very knowledgeable advice. I have really improved my performance over the last month.
on 23 September 2013
I regularly come back to this book. It's my reference manual for tri really I guess. Joe summarises his research into the science pretty well and gives you LOTS of other info.

You can then build your own customised plan putting together workout types he recommends.

For £10 you should just buy it to be honest.

The downsides for me are:

1. It doesn't actually give you a plan to follow. You have to make your own. Which is fair enough but that takes quite a lot of time. You might instead want to get a BTF coach to do one for you.
2. I would say the book is a bit light on the swim wide of things. But perfectly adequate for me.
3. **From memory** I think many of the measure are in US terms - so I always work in pace per km for example for running. You can live with that I guess.
4. For the shorter sprint distances and newer events like sprint duathlon then again it's a bit light on that.
5. Joe F. is big into power based training zones, I don't think this book covers those in quite enough detail eg HR zones and pace zones are given for all levels but not power zones.

but as I said: "buy it". it's good.
on 23 October 2012
A a bit heavy going but useful if you are serious about training and want to know about the details of training well.