Customer reviews

on 9 January 2011
This book is essentially a guided tour of all the menu items of the D300 and D300s. It deals with the physical controls (the knobs and buttons etc.) in passing, but does not go through them systematically in the same way as the menus. There are also lengthier discussions of important themes stemming from the menu options, such as white balance. It covers all this thoroughly and is generally well written. But don't expect anything by way of photographic technique - look elsewhere for that: this book is essentially a technical manual with explanations of what the menu choices mean.
Although the book is certainly better than many, there are still some points where it could have been improved. The main annoyance is including both the D300 and D300s in one volume: few people are going to own both, and having to plough through explanations of the other camera is both tedious and potentially confusing. They should have been kept apart in separate volumes. There is also a slightly annoying tendency to repeat points unnecessarily, which should have been edited out. Thirdly, the book could have been improved by providing some sort of summary: there are huge numbers of controls which the author concludes there is no point in changing, often of a purely mechanical nature (shifting a function from one combination of controls to another, for example), and it would have been helpful to have had a few summaries, as starting points for users, of the main suggested modifications for different types of photography (landscape, sport, fashion, etc.) - the information is there, but the reader has to wade through lots of explanations of abstruse controls with the conclusion 'no point in changing the default' to get at it. Personally, I'd favour a volume which saves me some time, rather than making me spend more in sorting the wood from the trees.
Nonetheless, over all I'd recommend this book.
9 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 3 January 2013
It really is great to have a book which explains the features of a camera which is such a sophisticated piece of kit. This book is the business. I have read only a short way in to it but the explanations are superb. I shall not bore with superlatives because there are a number of reviews which say it all. I read a review which criticized the fact that this book included both cameras, well, let me tell you, having more is better than having less. There is very little extra that has to be read and although I don't have both cameras, I am tempted to get both. That particular criticism is rather petty and it certainly didn't put me off, in fact, I was encouraged by that to make the purchase, so I guess, all criticism have merit.
I am so pleased with this book that I am in the process of finding the best way to protect it, I would have preferred it to have been in hardback as it is a heavy book and I don't want to crease any of the pages.
Darrell Young, you and your team have done a first class job.
on 6 October 2014
This is a "must" if you want to know your camera well. It's written in such a way that it's easy to read and understand. I have learnt so much about my camera (Nikon D300s) and whilst I thought I knew the camera pretty much inside out, I didn't! The author tells you how he has the camera set for his preference and why and often I concur and leave the camera set the same way. Only thing now is that I want the full frame Nikon D810 and will have to buy the book from this author if he has one on this camera. Highly recommended!
on 17 March 2011
This is the best book I have come across that explains on all functions and settings of the Nikon D300/300s clearly, concise and with total clarity, without drowning on and on or confusing the subject. It is an easy to read and learn book, without cheap short cuts

It is laid out out manner with initial settings and what the mean in simple and precise terms, no waffle. Then followed up by the authors favourite settings.

The book then continues systematically with all the settings meanings, causes and effects and gain followed by the authors preferences.

Best book ever written on the subject. Nikon should listen and learn from this author.
One person found this helpful
on 16 April 2015
I found the book ok, but, I prefer the one by David Busch, much more detail on the important things you need to need about the camera. I must admit reading Mastering the Nikon D300/300s by Darrel Young on the Kindle, I did nod off! lol
on 16 May 2013
A really good in depth guide to using this very complex but well thought out camera. I don't know how Mr Young found the time to go into such detail but I am glad he did as this book WILL make you a master of this beautiful camera. For me I would have preferred to own the actual book rather than the kindle version as it is something to keep with the camera all the time.
on 6 December 2011
This is the instruction book that you need to fully understand what all the features of your camera are capable of in your hands.

Don't buy the camera and then stinge on the book!
on 11 May 2013
Very comprehensive guide to the Nikon 300s.
Easy to follow and logically laid out. Much better than a simple instruction manual

Recommended
on 23 October 2014
Great book. Easy to find what I needed.
on 10 January 2014
Very detailed and well structured
Helpful advice and examples supporting setup and ongoing use of camera
Book appropriate to all owners of this camera irrespective of their photographic experience