Customer reviews

on 15 November 2016
I have been reading Carlton Mellick III books for a few years. This has everything you want from his writing and I would even suggest this as a first Mellick book.
It has a typically awkward and downtrodden main character who has a lot of bad luck and feels a disconnect from society. There are a few science fiction elements involving augmented brains that are ultimately defective, however this is mostly a surreal and perverted horror. I really enjoyed the descriptions of suffering from candy attacks and having a candy shell. The highlights are definitely the description of candy society and surreal sex scenes. Carlton Mellick III is a really great writer. This story has a lot less humour than his other stories, which is surprising given the environment and monsters, but I think this story would have been diluted by irony.If you ever feel intrigued by the outrageous titles and artwork of his books, then you will not be disappointed. The stories give you all you want!
on 16 October 2015
This is one of my favorite books. Carlton Mellick III paint's a wonderfully bizarre, sick and funny portrait of a world were people swap out there brain for a synthetic silicone brain, and candy people who eat children. It's sounds silly but Mellick is an excellent author and the character's three dimensional, there is a depth to them and they are believable as is the world's he created in this book.
review image
One person found this helpful
on 26 April 2011
The cannibals of candyland is Mellick at his best. The main character Franklins siblings were murdered by candy people when they were kids and he has been obsessed with them ever since. Join him as discovers the entrance to there land and sets out to seek revenge, but not all goes quite to plan. A must read for mellick fans or people new to the bizzaro genre.
2 people found this helpful
on 22 August 2012
I was really looking forward to reading something different, something fun and imaginative, but sadly I was disappointed with this book. The story idea, the bright cover and back blurb really excited me but the content let it down for me. The writter could have been a teenager by the way it was written and the ending, without spoiling it for anyone wo wants to read the book, was just sudden and didn't explain anything at all or tie up any loose ends.

I won't be buying another of the Author's books but that's not to say he doesn't appeal as he's got a big following, just, personally, I wanted more.
3 people found this helpful
on 20 May 2016
As soon as I saw the cover I was intrigued. The premise is simple but odd. Franklin a miserable misfit who saw his sibling slaughtered by a candy man as a child has dedicated his life to hunting them down. One day he finds them and it all goes mad from there.

I love anything weird like this. But the important thing was it was well written, and for want of a better description good internal logic! I liked the mythology of the candy people. It also had some good gross out moments.

It's a very short read and actually I would have liked it to be longer.
on 16 September 2013
This book is weird and macarbe a bit like eating a chocolate lemon but it's really good I loved it loads it's a bit like a Salvador Dali painting totally weird but it works the main character sees his family as such killed by candy people and then he spends his life trying to hunt them down what happens after he follows them to candyland I won't spoil for you but suffice to say it gets weirder and weirder but in a delicious way well worth reading if you like weird horror and strange fiction
on 18 August 2010
This was the first book I ever read by Carlton Mellick III and is one of my favourites so far. I love the way the author writes and explains his landscapes, you can vividly imagine all of the scenery.

The characters in this book are also very loveable, I got attached to them instantly and never wanted the book to end!

A fantastic read that I recommend to anyone who is looking for something a little different!
5 people found this helpful
on 18 October 2011
Mellick does a wonderful job with The Cannibals of Candyland; this is the second of Mellick's work that I have read - the first being Satan Burger - and I can honestly say that I literally did not want to stop reading. The characters are constructed with a very particular attention to detail, the story is undoubtedly "out there", but at the same time very down-to-Earth and often had me feeling some of the characters' emotional pains for them myself!

At first glance, you may expect this to be a very linear tale, which consists of nothing more than 'event happens', 'character seeks the baddie' and 'character kills baddie'. Nope. The Cannibals of Candyland has far more to offer and the story is anything but linear - there are moments of laughter, horror, bizarre settings (of course!), gore, love and raw emotion. And all in only around 150 pages!

I would highly recommend this book - if you have never read any of Mellick's works in the past, then this is a great one to begin with as it will soon have gripped you very tightly indeed and will leave you wanting more when it finally releases its grip.
One person found this helpful