on 28 May 2000
The food of Iran is rich and varied and embraces some of the most sophisticated dishes to be found anywhere. This beautifully produced cookbook provides recipes for a wide range of mouthwatering creations for every occasion, from quick starters and snacks to robust, slowly cooked stews and exotic desserts. Readers may find some of the ingredients called for, such as angelica, barberries, unripe grape powder, sahlab, and quince blossoms, hard to find, but most staples are readily available at Middle Eastern groceries and well stocked supermarkets. There is much pleasure to be derived from merely looking at the stunning illustrations, which is reason enough to want to own this book.
Also recommended: "Recipes and Remembrances from an Eastern Mediterranean Kitchen", by Sonia Uvezian. This is a cookbook unlike any other and indispensable reading for lovers of Middle Eastern cuisine.
on 1 September 2014
I have the older version of this book purchased a few years ago and it is AMAZING. I purchased the 25th edition for a friend and this version is even better than the original. Looks good, clear step by step instructions, Images on most of the pages and even more recipes, even has step by step pictures for the more complex recipes. I am Persian and I can confirm if you like Iranian food, this is the ONLY Persian cookbook you will EVER need. Delivery time was about 10 days. Highly Recommended.
This is without doubt the best of the Iranian cookbooks I have, being quite comprehensive in its range of recipes. It includes plenty of good colour photography, albeit for only about half the recipes, information on ingredients and techniques, cultural information about Iranian ceremonies and what is eaten during them, ideas for menu building, plus plenty of historical information and anecdotes.

There is another book available by the same author which is in essence a cut-down version of this book, A Taste of Persia: An Introduction to Persian Cuisine. I also recommend Margaret Shaida's The Legendary Cuisine of Persia as a good introductory volume in Persian cuisine.
on 9 October 2015
A classic recipe book - and now I know why! The book is both a cultural artefact as much as it is an instrument to create beautiful cuisine. There are simple and clear instructions for baking, mouth-watering photography, and lovingly written anecdotes about some of Najmieh's favourite foods. I am a vegetarian and was therefore delighted to note that every meat dish is given a vegetable substitute in the notes section. A treasure of a cook book!
on 12 March 1999
EVERY and I mean EVERY cook should own this beautiful book. I have given this book out as a gift to a myriad of friends and they all have enjoyed it and found dishes to delight themselves and company with. This book is a must for the urban hip consumer.
on 22 February 2016
This is the coffee table book of Iranian cuisine. Incredible images, huge amount of recipes including the most well known and the more rare regional offerings. My partner is Iranian born and raised and finds this book invaluable despite having several good cooks in her family. If you buy one book on Iranian cuisine make it this and not a few of the other not so good books that are out there.
on 10 November 2011
This is an ideal book for anyone interested in Persian cooking and culture, which are deeply intertwined. I've tried several of the recipes and they are easy to follow, though it is directed at American cooks and I'm not American. I understand that the recipes in this book are quite authentic. It's also a great book just to read, and is beautifully presented. I've also got the Malouf book Saraban, which has the most gorgeous photos as well as good recipes, somewhat adapted for non-Persian cooks.
on 1 February 1999
I was very impressed by the large number of recipes contained in this volume. It was also nice to read about the various holidays and their accompanying foods. I think the author did a great job offering such a variety, I found every Persian recipe I ever wanted all in this one book. The layout is very nice and the food is excellent!
on 30 April 2008
If you do not have any book of Persian cooking, this is the one to start with. You might find some spicies are diffcult to get, however, internet shops can help you. My favourate recipie is 'Aubergine and Lamb stew'. It takes a long time to cook according to this book, but I cook half of the steps the day before. One negative thing about this book is price. It is an expensive book, unfortunately.....
on 18 March 1999
I have gone through the book and I found it a very essential reference for Persian food lovers (like myself and my husband). But, although this book has some very nice photos about some of the cooks on it, it REALLY needs more since, you know, a picture worth a thousand words. Also, it would be better if each photo was put in front of its recipe.