Customer reviews

on 21 January 2008
Continuing on from where the last volume left off, we see Ann and Meg still fighting a fossilised angel to retrieve a new weapon that they need since their last scythe was destroyed. Eventually they succeed and return home - only to be summoned to Germany immediately. Distressed, Angela requests to sleep in the same bed as Meg and then they set off to find out what they are needed for this time, taking their new weapon with them. On their boat ride, they come across some problems, and they have to save as many people as they can from another beast, who, unfortunately, has back-up. Of course, this volume also contains a lot of violence and gore, like the first.

For a long time I have recognised this particular art style but have been unable to think of where I'd seen it before. After a browse elsewhere, I now recognise the art from two doujinshi; Butterfly Wings and Butterfly Flutters, by Ei Itou(obviously). Most people wonder if this series is really yuri or not, due to the fact that the first volume only contained subtext between the two main characters. However, I am willing to bet now that it will develop into much more than subtext in later volumes, as those two doujinshi I mentioned have explicit girl-girl sex, so obviously the artist is capable of it.

This volume of the story takes us closer to that relationship ideal, as there is more and more subtext between the two, and then a kiss. We find out more about Angela's past as she tells it to Meg - and at the same time, we get to see into Meg's past as well. This is where the volume ends.

The translation, as usual, is very clear and easy to read, and the colour insert in the front of the book is beautiful, too. It's just frustrating that we now have to wait until July for volume three to see how this trip to Germany is important, and also see more of these charming girls.