on 26 February 2016
Brilliant book. So much to learn here whatever your level of skill. Well set out in logical chapters so it's easy to find what you're looking for. As much a reference book as a nice book to dip in and out of. Well written and informative, it's great for reading up or refreshing the memory before undertaking a new or unfamiliar skill. Covers foundations of home sewing as well as couture skills. Recommended to all sewers who wish to make any type of clothing. Eleven out of ten!
on 10 January 2014
This encyclopaedia of sewing is good, but I feel that Vogue could have taken more pictures to insert in the book than just doing common drawings to explain techniques. Its a good source of information which covers a very wide terrain of couture techniques and garment formation. It is thick and heavy and makes for some seriously good reading for inquisitive creatives such as myself and things you need to do are explained step by step - Lovely addition to my library.
on 18 July 2017
Not so easy to understand because it's so full of information which once I get use to it will be my Bible
on 23 March 2017
quite good. but hasn't seen much use to be honest
on 15 February 2010
Successive editions of Vogue Sewing have been the standard reference work for so long that it's difficult to find something original to say. It covers just about everything the home sewer needs to know, with particularly good sections on adapting patterns and getting a good fit. There are two short sections at the end of the book dealing with tailoring and couture techniques, but you will need to consult specialist works to get more information. One word of warning - making your own patterns is not covered, so once again, you will need to get a specialist book. My only niggles are that there are no references to men's clothing, and the women's clothing illustrated is a bit on the girly side. This doesn't detract from the technical information, but it does detract from the style of the book.You would expect something impeccably stylish when it carries the name Vogue!
on 11 June 2014
Everyone interested in sewing should own a copy of this book, from novice to the more experienced sewer there is a wealth of information on garment construction and techniques.
on 12 March 2013
I will use this book the next time I try to make a Jacket. Special hints for collars and cuffs will be very useful.
on 10 July 2011
I was not so sure when I bought this book. But I was looking for sewing advises. I am not a professional but I am a good seamstress. This book is perfect for me, and one thing that I really is the quality of the illustrations. It's really clear and easy to follow. The tips are good. I am very happy I purchased that book. Higly recommended for beguinners as well as good average!
on 6 October 2009
I own the 1975 version, passed onto me by my mother when I was an enthusiatic teenager who could only sew a wobbly line. I go back to it again and again after nearly 20 years of dressmaking, especially for things I don't often do (what was the best way to do bound buttonholes again...). I rather like the retro chic of the original photos, but I guess an update is due.
on 12 March 2011
I cobbled together various creations in my youth/student years, and moved back to high street as more money/less time took hold. The sheer frustration of poor fitting items in shoddy fabric has got the sewing machine out again, but this time I need quality items which aren't destined for the student union. This book is super - it starts from the very basics. It will teach you tips you hand't thought of, and explains the difference between a good item and a great one. Most importantly for me, it explains how to alter patterns and tackle shape "problems" rather than assuming everyone is a conventional size and shape. A classic.