on 21 May 2015
For a complete beginner this book has benefits. However, over half of it contains very obvious stuff which any amateur would know or would soon work out through common-sense. For an eBook it is highly priced for its content.
on 14 July 2017
Must read book for anyone getting into sound design and field recording.
This book has a lot of information on creating a range of different sounds.
I'd reccoemed anyone to check out Ric Viers YouTube channel as he has a weekly diary of designing some of his sound libraries with interns.
I've already purchased 'The Location Sound Bible'.
on 22 March 2017
Brilliant book full of very useful tips and techniques and thought processes to get you thinking on your own
on 16 February 2013
This book is an okay introduction to the most basic concepts of digital sound, recording and--I'm not even joking--naming the files in your computer but it is very little to do with practical knowledge of sound design.

This is the first review I've ever written. I'm really unhappy.

PS have you seen any photos of Ric Viers. Look him up before you buy this book.
on 11 November 2008
I'm a lecturer and film making with some 25 years experience in the industry. In the early days I was a dubbing editor, laying track using 16mm film sep mag tracks. Over the years I wanted to learn more about the sound side of things and simply was not able to find anything substantial. That is until now.

As I am teaching a unit in Audi Production I wanted to have something substantial to back up my limited knowledge of Audio Theory. This book is it. Yes it says 'The Sound Effects Bible' and this is literally what it is, a manual for all things audio. It covers everything from the science of sound, the quality of audio you get from different microphones, assessories, recording devices, building a recording studio and post-production. A section I really enjoyed was 'The Ten Sound Editing Commandments'. It is obvious the depth of knowledge and wealth of experience the author has in a craft he really enjoys.

The chapters are easy to read and treat the reader as an intelligent human being. The diagrams are informative and specific to the task being discussed. I will be recommending the college to get their own copy and only regret I did not have this book three years ago when I was making my own feature film. Well I have it now and see the book as much a tool as my Final Cut Pro, Marantz recorder and Sennheisser microphones.
on 28 December 2013
This is a fantastic read and is clearly a must for any one that has any budding interest in audio/ sound design. The name sound effects bible is slightly misleading as it is not just a book on sound effects (although there is a large portion to do with this subject) it does touch base on a lot of topics such as hardware and software that is used professionally.

I highly recommend this book as its relatively inexpensive, compelling to read and is going to be my 'go to' book for resources in the future - so why not let it be yours too?
on 29 August 2015
Loved this book, easy to read, not overly-complex by any means. It's great for beginner and intermediate level sound engineers as the book holds your hand, but it would probably wear on pros unless they've never tread foot in this area of sound recording before. The few beginning chapters are fantastic if you're interested in learning how sound works. Overall this book is really helpful for helping you avoid beginner pitfalls in a lot of areas (gear, space design, working in the field etc), and it ends giving you a great A-Z of sound effects you might need and how to record them (there's some great sense of humour thrown in to boot!). If you're looking for more advanced information on certain topics (field recording, timecode, lav mics etc) then check out the sequel 'Location Sound - Ric Viers' as this covers it in much more depth.
One warning though, technology has progressed a fair amount since this book was published so don't expect certain pieces of technology to be ready available and relevant in this day and age (e.g. Fostex FR2 recorder is now discontinued).
on 4 December 2016
This book is amazing! I've been a composer for years and I've always dabbled in Sound Design. It's only recently that I've decided to take it on professionally. Buying this book was such a great choice. I have read through it a couple of times now and it's full of post-it notes so that I can reference parts quickly. This was published in 2008 so parts of it, including some of the gear recommendations are a little dated. However, you can just search the newer models of what is suggested and pay attention to the Microphone types as opposed to models.

I'm so pleased with this, it's a great resource for anyone that wants to get into sound design, no matter how much you already know. The information is easy to digest and the structure is brilliant.
on 21 June 2016
Ric Viers is a god of sound and you should all buy this book and the other one on Location Sound. They work perfectly together, whether you want to learn more about the industry or are just interested in sound. I started with Location Sound and then went to this. One small thing though there is a big chapter that is literally a copy paste from the Location Sound book. I was disappointed at the time because I didn't expect it so just warning you in advance. It's not a bad thing but it's better to know it. Despite the copy and paste chapter this book still delivers and is actually a really long read. There is so much information.
on 26 February 2013
Full on interesting stuff! Great for both beginners and more experienced engineers! I wish id of got this book a few years ago!!!!