on 1 July 2017
Lots of detail to help you to understand the character archetypes and each stage of the hero's journey. It also helps to clear up any confusion that you might have. I like that he advises against trying to make your story fit the structure.

It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that you can also use the book as a guide through life. Not in the same way as a self-help book but you can see how the people that you encounter through life, the challenges etc, it's all there.

It makes me want to read Carl Jung's work and I will at some point.

Not a book that you can rush through, if you really want to absorb it and to understand it properly. Definitely a book that you will need to go back to, dipping in and out of. What he talks about, really connects with being a human being and finding yourself on your own journey.

If you're human and a writer of stories, you can't help but get a better understanding of yourself and how and why stories work.
8 people found this helpful
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 24 January 2017
This book has a lot of substance. It's rich and detailed, interpreting the 'Hero's Journey' structure in the context of modern fiction writing. I've used it for revising a dark epic fantasy novel to give it more depth.

I recommend this book to aspiring and professional novelists, either as an aid for structuring your next novel, or as inspiration for strengthening parts of your current work in progress. However, I don't think it's a good choice for novices who are just starting out with novel writing.

A similar book, but shorter, more to the point and easier to understand (including for beginner level writers) is The Key: How to Write Damn Good Fiction Using the Power of Myth Both books are good, just different. You may want to download the free samples of both and see which of the suits you better.
on 29 September 2016
Vogler seems to know all about my novel! Or is he saying that all stories are basically the same, whether it's The Wizard Of Oz, Star Wars or Titanic? Then how can anyone write anything new?
As the title suggests, Vogler borrows a lot from ancient mythology and says every story is a hero's journey through 12 stages from the Ordinary World – through adventures and ordeals in the Special World – to return victorious with the Elixir. Each stage is developed in depth, introducing nine standard character Archetypes – Hero, Mentor, Shapeshifter, Trickster, etc.
I think this is a Must-read for any aspiring novel author, even more valuable than Robert McKee's Story.
on 22 May 2018
Phenomenal book has really helped the flow of writing the process and understanding. It is like a light bulb literally my brain. Easy to follow, is a lengthy book & quite thick so be prepared to spend a lot of your time reading making notes and thinking and planning of your future novels, books, fiction, non-fiction writing. Any person that wishes to write I highly recommend purchasing this book. Phenomenal book has really helped the flow of writing the process and the understanding. It is like a light bulb lift in my brain. Easy to follow, is a lengthy book I’m quite thick should be pad to spend a lot of your time reading making notes and thinking and planning of your future novels, books, fiction, non-fiction writing. Any person that wishes to write I highly recommend purchasing this book.
on 6 April 2018
Just by reading Christopher's curriculum you will see how much he knows about his craft. I haven't finished it just yet, but it has been an entertaining journey. He supports his points of view with good examples, which helps you ground the concepts with less effort. CV does reference the Hero's Journey heavily, but using his own works, which I believe is a good way to help you immerse yourself even deeper into the HJ by having not one, but multiple ways of explaining the core structure of it. As so, best read with Joseph Campbell's Hero of a Thousand Faces, as they complement each other, and CV does mention JC work often.
on 17 February 2016
Yes, it's a weak Version of Joseph Campbell's "Hero with a Thousand Faces", but this is the accessible, quick version (still pretty substantial). Belongs on every writers/story-teller's shelf, and offers some excellent nuggets of wisdom, such as that the writer's life and the individual projects as well tend to follow this structure. So when you're stuck, ask yourself if you might be Refusing The Call or end up scared by the Threshold Guardian. You might be surprised what you discover!
One person found this helpful
on 29 November 2011
A fellow writer recommended this and it is truly one of the best guides to plotting a book that I have ever read. He emphasises the mythic basis of our favourite stories, whether written or film and shows how this can be incorporated into creative writing. The main emphasis is on films, but its relevance to books is clear. One of the best parts is where he analyses famous films - eg Titanic & The Lion King - in the light of his theory. And it works. It's useful for writers at any stage, whether you have writer's block, feel that something's not quite right with your book, or are just starting out with an idea. Buy this book!
One person found this helpful
on 8 April 2014
A brilliant resource for anyone studying creative writing or wanting more information about creative writing theory. I personally don't find it useful for crafting my work but for university, I have to be able to explain my choices and this book helps me do that.
It seems to be aimed more at screenwriters than prose writers but it is useful nonetheless. The references to popular films really help illustrate the points the book makes, whether by pointing out a character archetype or a typical plot device.
on 22 June 2013
I loved this!
I found it via Steven pressfield's website and blog and I'm very glad I made the purchase.
I've already written and published two books but I haven't yet attempted a fiction. This book has really helped me organize my story plan and add depth and shade to both that and my characters. The questions the author poses at the end of each chapter were wonderfully useful for demonstrating the points he makes as well as generating ideas to use in my book.
If you're thinking of writing a book (or screenplay), this is for you. Highly recommended.
5 people found this helpful
on 10 June 2015
Very happy with the book, it arrived the next day as promised and in perfect condition. I have found it one of the most useful books I've read on writing. Clearly and intelligently written it takes you through all the different 'character types' one finds in storytelling, and explains how to make your characters believable.
|11 Comment|Report abuse