on 1 July 2017
Lots of detail to help you to understand the character archetypes and each stage of the hero's journey. It also helps to clear up any confusion that you might have. I like that he advises against trying to make your story fit the structure.

It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that you can also use the book as a guide through life. Not in the same way as a self-help book but you can see how the people that you encounter through life, the challenges etc, it's all there.

It makes me want to read Carl Jung's work and I will at some point.

Not a book that you can rush through, if you really want to absorb it and to understand it properly. Definitely a book that you will need to go back to, dipping in and out of. What he talks about, really connects with being a human being and finding yourself on your own journey.

If you're human and a writer of stories, you can't help but get a better understanding of yourself and how and why stories work.
on 29 September 2016
Vogler seems to know all about my novel! Or is he saying that all stories are basically the same, whether it's The Wizard Of Oz, Star Wars or Titanic? Then how can anyone write anything new?
As the title suggests, Vogler borrows a lot from ancient mythology and says every story is a hero's journey through 12 stages from the Ordinary World – through adventures and ordeals in the Special World – to return victorious with the Elixir. Each stage is developed in depth, introducing nine standard character Archetypes – Hero, Mentor, Shapeshifter, Trickster, etc.
I think this is a Must-read for any aspiring novel author, even more valuable than Robert McKee's Story.
on 10 April 2010
This was recommended by Amazon, based on purchase history. Customer reviews were good so I bought it.
This is probably the best book I've bought on writing. It's clear in its structure and if this is used by the "big boys and girls" for templating, then it will definately help the rest of us.

It covers screen and novel writing in equal measure, since the templates can easily be applied to both.
Even if you are a writer already, compare the template ideas to what you've written already. Watch some of the films he recommends and see how they compare with the ideas in this book.

Great buy. Wish I'd got it years ago!
0Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 June 1999
As the sages say, "When the student is ready, the teacher will come." I was ready for this important book, after successfully writing for nearly 20 years, and learned more about the process than in all the courses and workshops I've attended. I highly recommend the book. I'm encouraging my writing students, colleagues and writing friends to get a copy. If you write, you need to read this book.
0Comment| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 June 2013
I loved this!
I found it via Steven pressfield's website and blog and I'm very glad I made the purchase.
I've already written and published two books but I haven't yet attempted a fiction. This book has really helped me organize my story plan and add depth and shade to both that and my characters. The questions the author poses at the end of each chapter were wonderfully useful for demonstrating the points he makes as well as generating ideas to use in my book.
If you're thinking of writing a book (or screenplay), this is for you. Highly recommended.
on 6 March 2013
It works, it's clear, it'll help sort the jumbled mess of a story in your head into a readable piece of art on paper.
Best book I've read on story structure.
And now I've written my novel :)
on 21 May 2017
Everything I ever needed in a writing book. I'm a playwright.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 July 2003
Once I started this book I couldn't put it down. It is a suprisingly simple way of looking at a scripts structure, working out who your character is and where they belong. I would recommend this book to any budding script writer.
on 7 February 2014
Our world is overflowing with clumsy and turgid texts that barely reward the effort of reading. What we all need is less pap and more pudding. We need stories that nourish and inspire us. We need stories that lift the soul to those enchanted and eternal realms from which we can return refreshed, filled with zest to revitalize and revamp the world of everyday cares. But writing those stories is a challenge.

Christopher Vogler knows this. His inspirational guide to ambitious writers of all kinds, but especially those who burn to write classic novels and screenplays, has surely lit the flame of many a soul that might otherwise have gone out in the weary climb to fame and fortune. Both in book publishing and in Hollywood, the road to stardom is long and hard. A writer needs a guide like this to light the way.

The book is replete with references to classics old and new that show how to do the job. The mythic structure Vogler reveals behind those classics is eternal, and even writers of Hollywood comedies can learn a lot from it, and doubtless have in the years since his book appeared. The frontispiece illustrations for the chapters in the third edition are beautiful. They set the tone for the chapters quite delightfully.
on 8 April 2011
Christopher Vogler has a lot of credibility in the script doctoring world and he knows what he is talking about as he has worked on a lot of major Hollywood films. I love this book because it lays out a simple to understand 12 step structure for designing a story, both for filmscripts and for novels.
Some might say his structure is too simple but I am not Joyce, Hemingway or Dickens so I don't care; it gives you the basics to build on. I would suggest all would-be writers read this first to get you going. Then I suggest Story: Substance, Structure, Style and the Principles of Screenwritingto understand scenes and character arc and The Story Book: A Writer's Guide to Story Development, Principles, Problem-solving and Marketing to understand subtext and you should be able to make a reasonable go of your novel writing or filmscript writing career.
I am glad I read this before I wrote my first novel Call me Aphrodite