Customer reviews

on 22 April 2012
I'm half-way through this book and as other commentators have said it is not a very well organized book but the information is there. The author makes a token effort to explain some details and then trails off with "we will come back to this later". My advice to the author would be: Explain it fully, or don't bother mentioning it.

I also think that it would have been less confusing had the author chosen to use Hibernate annotations throughout the book and perhaps dedicated two or three chapters at the end to showing JPA annotations, XML mapping and XDoclets instead of repeating various examples with the different methods.

If you want a book that will give you enough of the basics in early chapters to use Hibernate effectively then this is not the book for you. However, you will learn from reading the book and the copy I received came with a coupon code to get the digital version for free, which was an unexpected but nice touch. Once I have read it fully, I expect it to serve as a nice reference.
on 9 February 2012
I used Hibernate for six months five years ago and had made good use of Hibernate in Action 1st Edition. Recently I need to use Hibernate for a new project purchased Hibernate in Action 2nd Edition but have found the book impossible to get on with, it jumps from basic to advanced topics continually without offering any direction on how to use Hibernate effectively and I am now looking to purchase a different book.
on 27 February 2011
There is simply no need for this book to be 800 pages long. The authors have little ability to summarize and be snappy and precise in their text. They can't outline any simple facts without wandering off into variations on a theme. They structure things poorly and waffle too much. You want to know how ManyToOne mappings work? Get ready to painfully read twenty pages of intricate use cases and droning text going off into various unlikely scenarios. Ugh. Just gimme the facts man. In the end I gave up in disgust and used the documentation on the JBoss site, a breath of fresh air.

On the good side the book IS comprehensive and it does cover everything with JPA as well as XML, which is a must. If you're going to be doing Hibernate I'd still recommend you get it as a reference but be warned!
on 15 March 2010
This is by far one of the dullest, most boring, dense and dificult to read books I've ever had the displeasure to read in my whole life. Nonetheless it's still the most comprehensive Hibernate guide you'll find on the market.
on 17 September 2009
In one line, a very useful book for learning Hibernate, and to use as reference when things get complicated later-on.
on 24 November 2008
To say that I was confused after going through this book would be an understatement. I think that 'Hibernate Newbie' summed it up really well.In my experience when I am learning a new technology, what I need is a simple introduction followed by a few simple examples that actually work. Once you have that, it easy enough to build on what you have learned. Try doing that with this book and you will get nowhere. It is a very dry reading and I would get demoralized every time I would pick it up as it is so difficult to follow because you are bounced around from one technology to another. This is before you get a grasp of those technologies in the first place.If you are new to Hibernate don't bother. You will get annoyed and frustrated.I surely did.
on 18 October 2008
I was new to Hibernate when I finally decided to buy this book. I must say it has been a pleasure reading it from first to last page. If one wants to become very proficient at hibernate, I strongly recommend this book. Not only it tells the reader everything there is to know about Hibernate (and I mean everything!) but it also presents both the Hibernate world and the JPA world. Obviously the HB world provides much more functionalities than the JPA, but then the JPA is only in its first release and many of the functionalities today provided by HB will be available in JPA. By the end of this book you'll be able to work proficiently on HB and address also advanced issues such as performance optimisation (with 1st and 2nd level caches), reporting queries, design and testing patterns.
on 23 May 2008
For me a more apt title would have been: "ORM with Hibernate and EJB3".

This book conveys loads of excellent information.

There is a great Domain Model "Caveat Emptor" that is used as backdrop for the bulk of the book based upon an auction system to convey the intricacies of the technologies.

* Part 1 (about 150 pages) is more example orientated and shows how to use Ant tasks to turn Java entities annotated with meta-data or in association with XML to DDL/SQL and vice-versa.
* The next 540 pages (Part 2 & first section of Part 3) make up the bulk of the book. This part is more of a reference. This material is very informative, but a bit of a slog,
heavy going and dry at times. Quite taxing on the old brain!
The format generally the following pattern:
-> The Hibernate way of doing things. Sometimes with XML. Sometimes with annotations.
-> The EJB3 way.
-> How Hibernate can compliment EJB3 and sometimes vice-versa.
-> A summation highlighting two technologies.
* The last two chapters of Part 3 (next 200 pages) are awesome and what make the book really shine.
They return to a more easy to understand example driven format and tie everything together.
The penultimate chapter has a good discussion on architectural concerns. (Unfortunately you ought to plough through the detailed reference section to best understand everything).
There is also an interesting introduction to TestNG.
* The last chapter goes on to demonstrate Seam. As a framework it overcomes some of the pitfalls of JSF. It has definately sparked my interest in learning more about Seam
and rekindled my interest in JSF.
* On a final note. It's also a great SQL reference to boot.
Great job Christian and Gavin!
on 13 November 2007
I've recently been reading Java Persistence with Hibernate, having had limited experience with Hibernate previously. My thinking was that a book this size should provide a really gentle but complete coverage.

After 5 months, I had got as far as Chapter 7. Normally, I fly through books, but there was something about this one that just didn't work for me. I don't like 'giving up', but by chapter 7 I asked myself honestly a) was I enjoying it and b) was I learning, and I came to 'no' for both.

The book (as we know) was written by the authors of Hibernate, and to this end they know it inside out. However, this is also their weakness. Instead of giving me what I needed - an overview, followed by some good examples that I could follow and learn from, they would show me one way to do something in Hibernate, then in annotations, then with JPA xml, then with JPA annotations except for the bits that couldn't be reached and so had to use Hibernate annotations. Then they would give me a reason/situation when this approach couldn't be used, and the process would start over with a new technique. As a reference, this is excellent. As a learning book, it's a nightmare, so much so that I've stopped reading.
on 14 September 2007
If you are going to buy a book about how to use Hibernate, this is the one to get.

It has in depth coverage of native Hibernate, JPA (just because JPA is a standard doesn't make it evil) and the Hibernate implementation of JPA. It also covers the issues surrounding object/relational mapping and various "architectural" options for using persistent objects in an application.

It's a big book - it needs to be, it covers a lot of ground and contains a lot of detail. I'd go for the PDF version, it weighs less and you can use the PDF reader to search the text.