on 31 October 2005
All opinions are valid, but I must strongly disagree with the review below. My copy of The Discontinuity Guide, from the original printing in 1995, is so well-thumbed that it now resembles the Dead Sea Scrolls. It would not have been so often referred to if it were in any way a "boring" piece of work. It is most definitely not "drival (sic)", but a well constructed and genuinely useful reference guide. The Discontinuity Guide breaks down each Doctor Who televison story into several sub-headings, including Technobabble, Continuity, Fashion Victims, Goofs, and Dialogue Triumphs, then concludes with a short (sometimes very short!) opinion on the story. The book has a nicely irreverent and polarised angle on Doctor Who; refreshing for a reference book, where the content is often very dry. One may or may not agree with the opinions expressed by the authors, but there is something here to get one's teeth into regardless of that. Essential. Really, it is.
on 17 December 2003
Great fun and full of trivial information for people like me who just can't get enough Doctor Who. The double entendres and fashion victims sections are a bit stupid, but the goofs and opinions are always interesting. Recommended.
on 28 May 2008
The discontinuity guide contains plot summaries and overall "whoniverse" continuity for each of the classic series stories. It also lists favourite quotes, goofs and fashion victims for each story. As a result it contains the right balance of content and comedy that every who fan needs to get through some of the more ludicrous stories but it also helps us to revel in the best moments. My copy of this book is so tatty that I have come here looking for a replacement. I honestly don't understand how this got a bad review unless the reviewer was looking for nothing more than a dry encyclopedia - impossible for a series so full of contradictions.
on 23 July 2016
On the understanding this is a review of the first (1995) edition and the 2004 one, which I haven't yet got (and which seems exorbitantly priced) I should like to defend this book from some of the negative criticism it has had over the years. Sure, the "double entendres" come over as puerile (when the scripts were written no-one had any idea that certain words and passages would come to be seen as suggestive X years later), though amusing nonetheless. I also think the writers of the book were taking liberties, perhaps hostages to fortune, in the range of sources they cite as having been inspirations for the stories (they themselves admit that the books etc in question only "may have" been that. And their opinions on the merit of certain of the stories are subjective,even if it's still good to have them; I actually enjoyed The Daemons and Planet of the Spiders on viewing them thirty years after their original transmissions. In other words, The Discontinuity Guide needs to be handled with caution. However, it's still indispensable. It delivers what a breakdown of the narrative of each story (though we deserve, and I think are still waiting for, a decent one of those) cannot quite, by its very different treatment of the subject. The "Continuity" sections are essential for prospective "Who" writers, to whom those on "Links","Future History", "Untelevised Adventures" etc. will also be useful. And the book is light-hearted (not just Double Entendres but Goofs, Fashion Victims and Dialogue Disasters), in a way which makes it a joy to read. My copy too is well-thumbed, and unsurprisingly so.
on 13 June 2010
This book is amazing and although most the content therein is now available on BBC website it is still a must have purchase for any serious whovian. Invaluable
on 13 November 2004
I found it very irritating because I was reading 'opinions' and not facts. I was hoping for a more interlectual and reasoned dissection of DW over the years but I just got drival. For a compilation by three people I found the content to be very unimaginative even in their opinions. The worst DW buy I have ever made.
You can't forget who wrote this stuff either - their names are at the top of every single page - boring.