on 19 April 2017
Excellent Teaching tool
on 3 July 2017
Prompt delivery. Thank you. will be useful for my revisions. More handwritten material would be welcome though.
on 23 April 2017
very pleased with this
on 8 October 2002
This book gives a great way of learning Russian. It goes back to basics. A child learns to talk before reading and writing and the book continues this theme. There are lots of comprehensive flash cards as well as stickers to place around the home so that you are able to learn quickly and efficiently. Russian writing is used but english phonetic breakdowns complement the flash cards and stickers. The excersises are simple although Russian in ten minutes a day is probably a little optimistic but I am finding it a very useful book in my russian studies. There are lots of big pictures and the style of the book makes it less intimidating than a lot of the 'teach yourself' books. It is a definate must have if you are attempting to master the Russian language.
0Comment| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 June 2017
How can you learn a language in 10 minutes a day?
Well this book does give you a basic start at the language. I am using a few different books and move between them as I feel like it. This book is good for building up vocabulary and giving you a feeling that you are progressing.
It also has flash cards that you can cut out as a fun way to test yourself and (removable) stickers to put on doors to rooms, the fridge, cat etc!
It's not perfect, but none of them are.
до свидания!
on 4 February 2009
Russian is my first language and I'm buying this book second time (this time for my daughter), because I found this book very helpful and easy to use when I introduced my partner to Russian.
on 27 October 2007
As a complete beginner learning the Russian language, i found this book excellent for breaking down what seems to be a very complex language into small, manageable pieces. The flash cards and stickers for the house are great for jogging the memory. I have found this book incredibly useful and i highly recommend it for other beginners to Russian.
on 21 January 2011
This is a great book for helping you increase your vocabulary - things, number, colours... It also goes into basic phrases and how to form them.

I am studying in a proper class and this re-enforces and complements what I am learning there.

Russian grammar is too complicated for me to learn alone, the class helps me sort all that out.

The stickers are great fun and they really work. Every time I go to the refrigerator, I see the Russian word for it and can't help but say it quietly to myself.
VINE VOICEon 29 February 2008
This book is frankly poor. The emphasis is on vocabulary, although it does throw in a few set phrases for you to use. However, this book is not going to enable you to actually SPEAK Russian or understand anything of any real merit. Yes, I realise it is for complete beginners, but Take Off in Russian is also aimed at the beginner market and can do a lot more for you than this. If you want short lessons, then Take Off provides this (although they are more like half an hour than 10 minutes - but then what can you really learn in 10 minutes?). Take Off also provides you with the tools to produce language on your own, rather than relying on the few set phrases you might have found in a book like 10 minutes.
Another criticism of 10 minutes is the pronunciation guide. It's way off the mark. There are no stress markers, which are found in all other Russian books I have come across, and as stress is very important in Russian pronunciation, it's important for even beginners to learn it correctly. The romanised guides are also bizzare at times, and sound nothing like the word should sound.
I do quite like the stickers section (although having a sticker for words like 'dog' and 'cat' seems a bit pointless, because 1) I don't have a dog/cat to stick it on 2) I wouldn't stick it on my dog/cat if I did), and the crosswords are quite good for vocab revision, although there are only 2 or 3 of them. The menu translator is the best thing in here - ideal for trips to restaurants and good to stick on your fridge to help you learn the words while you're in the kitchen - and the flashcards are a good idea, although I didn't really take to them.
For these good points, I'd give it 3 stars, but because of the pronunciation issues, I'm reducing it to 2. Buy Take Off in Russian instead. It's a little pricier, but if you want to actually learn Russian, you should be prepared to fork out a couple of quid more.
22 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 June 2012
As a stand alone way of learning the language this book is, as stated in other reviews, poor. You cannot hope to have useful conversations without a basic grasp of grammar and this book does not provide this. Also without any accompanying sound its hard to get pronunciation right. However, as a vocabulary builder and study aid alongside other methods, it is excellent, allowing you to build revision into everyday life, and adding a different method of learning to help you consolidate what you have learnt. In this capacity, I highly recommend it.