on 26 October 2014
Don't like
on 20 March 2005
I collect all sorts of divination decks, including Tarot and playing cards, and so couldn't resist The Housewives' Tarot; it is so retro and original - a must for any Tarot collection. The artwork is great and very inspired. Like the other reviewer, I also didn't expect to get a 'meaningful' reading out of them, but I did (and have done every time since), and also found the pictures help you tap into your inuition very effectively. There is no other Tarot deck like it, and it's so much fun to use. It is beginner and people-scared-of-Tarot-friendly and as any mystic worth her salt would say, you should approach divination, as with any art, with a sense of humour and lightheartedness. This deck is ideal for this. The interpretations in the book are humorous, but as it relates the meaning to any household activity or worry, you realise how much it speaks to you on all levels. This makes a reading a very grounding process. I just love this deck! It's so unique and well put together- you even get recipies to use with the different spreads! And the sturdy box is so good at keeping them neat - as any good housewife would. A deck to treasure, and to learn with.
on 30 December 2004
I ordered this item just for it's novelty value, to add to my tarot collection. I never expected it to actually work. When it arrived, I was thrilled to sit down and go through the pack. It is beautifully packaged, some standard tarot publishers could learn a lot from the presentation of this amazing deck. It comes in a very strong box, like a recipe card box. Inside it has dividers for Major Arcana cards, Minor Arcana cards and Instruction book. The book it really fab, very amusing to read and provides sensible and proper interpretations for these wonderful cards. The cards themselves are a dream. Very funny, this is a deck to make you smile, but so deep as well. I never expected this deck to be useable, but it is, very useable. Beginners will love it and established readers will adore it's charming way of getting the meanings across, very clever indeed. Please, do not hesitate to order this deck, it is a MUST have for any collection. You will love it, it is charming, funny and friendly. No person could be offended by this deck, it is so very down to earth and not at all occultish. Buy it, you won't regret it. Every housewife should have one :o)
on 20 June 2008
I am a newbie when it comes to the Tarot. Initially I bought the Aleister Crowley Thoth Tarot, but found it very complexed and hard to learn. The housewives tarot on the other hand, was surprisingly easy to learn because the symbolism in the pictures are so spot on that one instantly knows their meaning just by looking at them. And the cards are BEAUTIFUL! I love the design, the pretty box and the book. I am so happy that I bought these. A very good deck for those who (like me) are beginners and need an easy to read deck.
on 4 April 2014
I have given this 1 star because none of the meanings make any sense, I was very excited to recieve it because I had thought the sayings and meanings would be relevant and humorous,but they weren't and I am very disappointed plus the company the Book Depository charged me £12 postage for 3 items which I disputed but they say they charge individual postage for each item even if you order at the same time!! Which in my opinion is unacceptable and even Amazon got involved and asked them to refund me the postage but they didn't saying it was Amazon's policy not there's, but Amazon wrote back saying no it is not their policy and to refund my postage but they didn't and they said they won't so I won't ever be buying from the Book Depository again and I would advise you not too unless you want to get fleeced over postage!!
on 5 July 2011
I found these cards to be quite quirky and easy to read. There is something quite un-threatening about them, and they give good answers to questions. I love the 1050's illustrations of housewives.
on 21 May 2005
I LOVE my Housewives Tarot. I'm a serious, professional tarot reader, but I don't believe that the cards should be oh so mystical and hard to decipher for the day to day reader. Housewives Tarot will do three things. It gives you cake mixes. Its makes you tidy up (I have no idea why, but you've done it before you realised you were doing it and by then it's finished) it makes you smile, and it tells the future. Oh, sorry, that's four! Anyway, buy them now. My friends beg for readings with them.
on 15 February 2009
A friend of mine gave me this deck a few years ago and I think it's absolutely fantastic! I've seen it dismissed as frivolous and lacking in depth, but behind the cheery smiles of the 50s housewives there's plenty in the way of quirky and thought-provoking takes on traditional symbolism. I've recommended it to many friends, and even the most sceptical have ended up loving it.
on 22 February 2012
I though I would love this deck and some cards are indeed fantastic and very cleverly done but I gave it away in the end as I couldn't connect with the 'swords' cards. Thhey were depicted as kitchen knives, a bit spooky and not very nice.
on 18 April 2015
Really funny pics but shoved box untouched in cupboard as they annoyed me the humour wasn't wasted on me, just couldn't do a reading with them as they are a piss-take to extremes .