on 14 September 2007
I wish this atlas had been available when I started out in astronomy. It's small enough to fit in one hand, yet - despite its size - the layout never feels cramped. The constellation lines are a huge advantage too; I can locate most deep-sky objects within a couple of minutes - much faster than I could with Sky Atlas 2000.

The atlas includes 80 main charts, plus 4 close-up charts covering the following regions of interest: the Pleiades, Orion's Sword, the Virgo Galaxy Cluster (essential!), and the Large Magellanic Cloud.
on 8 March 2016
I've owned the standard (pocket sized)edition of this atlas for several years now,and it's my 'field atlas' and first port of call when looking for a celestial target.
When I found out about this jumbo edition,I quickly decided to buy it as a 'Library copy.
The layout of the charts seems easier to use, to me at least,than some other Star Atlas that are currently avaiable.
on 23 May 2017
An invaluable guide to the night sky for astronomers.
Gives you everything you need to navigate yourself around the sky.
Clear, precise and so useful.
on 7 September 2016
Very easy to read and use. My favourite star atlas.
on 30 April 2017
Damage to spine of book
on 13 March 2010
This atlas is A5 sized and so fits into the pocket quite easily. It is spiral bound and so will stay open at the pages selected, when you place in on a flat surface. This is a great bonus as you can cross-refer from the book to the night sky / telescope / binoculars quickly and without having to find the page again. I covered the outside covers in clear sticky backed film to give extra protection against any dew.

Stars down to maginitude 7.6 are displayed on 80 main charts. The pages are in colour with significant objects easy to find. Arrows indicate the page number of the next page to check on the sky to the north/east/south/west which makes navigating across the sky simple. I am very pleased with this atlas and I am certain it will help improve my knowledge of the constellations. It is not as detailed as some of the more complex atlases but it is more than adequate for most casual users.
on 18 May 2013
The ability to navigate from one page or chart to another is absolutely essential and this kindle edition is, I'm sad to say, a big fail :-(

Combined with the fact that each chart is a non searchable poor quality image just adds to the frustration. When you enlarge a chart it actually becomes less legible and the jpeg artefacts show up making it difficult to work out if there is a line through a star indicating that it's a double.

The 'Look Inside' feature actually shows the poor graphics in fairness but I naturally assumed that when I handed over my cash a lovely clear representation of the printed version would be on view, but alas, no ... just so lodges and blurs.

This is how the navigation goes:
You find an object in the index, it gives you the Chart number, but without coordinates as to where on the chart to find it and not even a direct link to the chart. You are instead expected to battle with a meaningless 'location' at the bottom of the page in the Kindle info and guess which page that location is going to take you ... eh? What's all that about?

When is this actually going to reach the digital age? I am seriously not impressed. This kindle edition is a complete let down with regards to the effort put into the publication itself.

The Kindle edition is way over priced at £6 plus, and because of the lack of coordinate references I suspect I will be saving money on the printed version.

My advice: save your money!
on 5 October 2010
I can't fault this star atlas. It's a convenient size; the maps are beautifully clear and have a generous overlap with adjacent areas of sky; the spiral binding means the atlas always lies flat and doesn't have to be held open. Double and variable stars are differentiated and star clusters, nebulae and galaxies are all mapped.
Since I got my copy I find I use it all the time and not just to find the objects shown on the maps. It is also hugely useful for locating the fainter planets Uranus and Neptune, and other faint solar system objects moving against the stellar background. I'm just a hobby astronomer using my telescope in the back garden but this is an immensely useful book and I wouldn't want to be without it. At the Amazon price it has to be an astronomical bargain.
on 17 September 2013
Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas

I am only giving this 2 stars.

If I had the hardback it would be 5 stars.

Why o why do the kindle editions come out so poorly?

The star charts are hard to read and you cannot expand (at least not on my Samsung tablet) to read them.

So do not download the kindle edition until they make some changes to make it readable.
on 9 November 2009
This is a great field atlas to use outside with a telescope. It is small enough to slip into a large coat pocket or in an eyepiece box. The pages seem slightly waxy and are at least partially resistant to the dew, which can ruin paper atlases. The maps are very clear and are great for hunting down NGC objects etc. It takes a few moments to see how each section of the maps join together but you soon get used to the layout. This means you get detailed charts but on a small page size.

If it had a few notes of interest about the best objects on each page it would be even better and gone up to 5 stars in my rating. Even so this atlas now comes with me on every observing session and I have bought a second copy just to make sure! Make certain you have a red torch to go with it.