Format: Hardcover|Change

on 31 May 2009
Having read the reviews of others, and having had a personal recommendation to buy this book, I'm afraid I'm a bit disappointed. It does indeed cover a wide range of knitting topics, some of which I'd never even heard of and will no doubt find useful, but I don't find the treatment of each topic anywhere near exhaustive, which is what the sub-title of the book had lead me to expect.

In some sections there seems to be the assumption that the reader is already quite a confident/accomplished knitter. I'm an intermediate-to-advanced knitter, I'd say, but I'm struggling with some of the explanations, for example, that for grafting two pieces of stockinette stitch together (pgs. 102-103, also known as Kitchener stitch). I eventually gave up and went to YouTube for the answer, where I found an excellent tutorial that brought the whole thing into focus for me. Having re-read the instructions in the book, there's no way I would have worked out the technique from that alone.

The book doesn't have as many step-by-step illustrations as some other knitting books I've seen, so if one is learning a completely new technique, it can be a bit confusing.

On balance, I'm glad I have the book, as it's already come in handy for one technique I was having trouble with, but unfortunately I can't give it my whole-hearted recommendation.
This is a real 'bible' for knitters. It's perhaps not as exciting as some of the modern knitting books which are a great way to get going, but the Vogue Kitting book is far more informative, covering a vast range of techniques and stitches in plenty of detail and in a clear, straightforward style. The techniques are listed together with all the alternatives and variations in one place- for example all the increases are listed with instructions and a photo of the results next to each one, so you can see at a glance which one you are using or choose one according to your requirements, with all the relevant information in one place. It's the same with decreases and other techniques, I found this really made a difference- you feel like you are looking something up quickly from a list, rather than searching through random pages thinking 'I'm sure I saw that decrease explained in this book somewhere...'

If you're scratching your head over something, or the instructions in a pattern seem unclear, this book can usually bail you out, but the joys of this book don't end there. I'm still only a beginning knitter, but I'm sure that this book will be useful for more advanced knitters and designers as it has extensive information regarding design and other advanced stuff, with charts and so on. It looked a little bit daunting at first, but I am starting to see a clear path to designing knits of my own one day and really making sense of the craft rather than blindly following patterns. I think many knitters eventually tire of this as there will usually be something we don't like in a pattern, particularly these days as there are so many patterns which deliberately make it difficult to substitute another yarn so that you have to buy their recommended brand.

The diagrams and really clear and the photos are impeccable, often showing the active stitches in a different colour yarn so you can really see what's happening. There's loads of stuff in there I won't use for a while until I get more comfortable with knitting, but even as a beginner I'm finding it very informative. Not a book I want to sit down and read from cover to cover, but a reference manual I will turn to again and again.
on 9 December 1998
Vogue Knitting is a very complete reference book. It is well worth the money because it includes different types of stitches, correcting mistakes, and even how to design your own pattern. It has lots of photographs and illustrations that make learning a new technique a breeze.
on 12 March 1999
This beautifully illustrated book -- it has photographs of EVERYTHING -- is the ultimate in how to design your first sweater. Countless styles of sweaters are charted and described, along with rules of thumb for going off on your own. This made my first sweater design, a set-in sleeve (!), a finalist in a recent contest. My only complaint with the book is that it doesn't cover double-knitting and a few other more specialized techniques. However, this is a knitting library must for intermediate knitters.
on 10 March 1998
After kissing several toads I finally found the prince! This book contains everything you need to know about knitting that even a beginner can understand and follow. The illustrations are wonderful and complement the instructions beautifully. The layout is very organized and follows a logical order in the knitting scheme of things. The most important thing is that it is not so longwinded that you get bored after the first ten pages! All subjects are covered in a straightforward and succinct manner. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves to knit or who is thinking about getting started. My mother-in-law comes from Norway and has been knitting since she could hold the needles. I told her she needed a copy of this book!
VINE VOICEon 10 September 2003
This book changed my mind about the Vogue label. I half expected a lot of gloss and advertisements. Was I ever wrong and surprised. This book is well designed and informative. The pictures are clear and the variety is astounding. If you ever dream about going beyond Afghans this is the book to inspire you.
What I found interesting was the two ways to hold needles, English and the continental. Now when I watch old movies I look at the way the needles are held. Naturally Aunt Jane Marple holds needles the English way.
on 16 April 1999
I just was learning how to knit when I bought this book. It really helped me to progress in my knitting techniques. The diagrams are very helpful. I especially like the directions for the different stiches and pattern in the back of the book. If you are just learning how to knit, this is a wonderful book to have!
on 11 May 2007
An excellent resource for a knitter - whatever your level of proficiency. What makes this book unique is the clarity of the explanantions and the range of topic that it covers - just about everyting you can think of - and some that you couldn't. It's a large format book, sturdily constructed, using good quality paper. Its large format makes it more difficult to keep by your side as you knit, but the pages do open flat - you don't have to keep your hand on the page to stop it from closing again - a major consideration for a knitter.
on 14 September 2007
i have found this book very good , i have been a knitter for years but learned alot more after reading this helpful book with the different ways of finishing off the sweater,jumper etc.also several ways of casting on & off for neater edges .money well spent
on 13 October 2008
It is absolutely FILLED with knitting references, steps to tons of different patterns (like hearts, chevrons, basketweave style...) and an easy walk-through of how to use all of this knowledge to create whatever it is you want to make. I found this book much more useful than buying a book with a few specific clothing patterns in it, most of which I probably wouldn't want to make anyways. I'm very glad I purchased this book and I'm sure it will continue to be my favourite and most helpful knitting book for some time. I would say this book is for anyone, beginner as a learning tool to advanced as a very good reference.