on 1 July 2010
I work with children in the care system and I am often asked to deliver Emotional Literacy. This book has been very useful and child friendly with it's nice clear pages and bright colours. I like the general aim of the book, recognising the differences in size and appropriate reactions to each of the six emotions.
Although the faces bring a fun element to this book, for children who find it difficult to read the emotions of others I don't feel the the faces are particularly helpful and more 'lifelike' pictures of people's head and shoulders would be more beneficial and a way of looking at body language in addition to facial expressions.
on 14 November 2011
My son is 8 years old and very high on the autistic spectrum, with advanced vocabulary and comprehension but finds it difficult to explain his emotional reactions and manage them. Using this, for the first time, my son is managing to analyse his reactions and understand about when and what is an appropriate reaction to a situation.

He is starting to learn how to judge the level of his reaction and articulate what he's feeling. I cannot recommend this highly enough for any child who has difficulty managing their emotions and 'keeping things in perspective'.
on 18 November 2009
I bought this to use with my 10-year-old son who has Asperger's Syndrome. I've found it so much easier to use than the 5-point scale and although he's very mathsy he also prefers this version. It's ready to use, you just sit down with your child and work through it as it is. The triangle with big, middle & small emotions is a very easy-to-use and remember visual symbol. The book does have some helpful suggestions in each section which is also helpful. I really like the idea of it being write-on, wipe off as this can be ammended as he grows, although including a pen would be extremely helpful as hunting for a suitably thin wipeable marker pen took me a few days - if you do order the book I recommend buying a pen at the same time so that you can start the book straight away. We've only done anger so far though we will work through the rest. We added a big hunt for lots of angry faces & people & described the features to give him a better understanding of the 'look' & body language of this emotion, and will do the same for the others. A bigger list of 'tips' for dealing with each emotion would be really useful too, then the child could select which ones he thought would help even more, & try others out over time. It is the best book I've found on this issue and is finally giving him some help in understanding & managing his emotions.
on 21 June 2010
my dauggter , who has special needs, has already taken this book to school . She was able to discuss something that was really worrying her because of this book , and the school we able to reassure her and help her get over her worry (that the coach for the school trip might be late).

so it was worth getting the book just for that !
on 2 December 2012
The book does exactly as described. My songs AS so struggles to say how he is feeling so this is perfect in helping him to distinguish how he feels.
on 2 June 2013
This book would be good to use with individual children. I am using it with a class of children with ASD and attahcment issues.
on 13 June 2014
So simple! So clear! So helpful! Wether the child is v. young or older. This teached strategy and concept in such a basic way that children get the point immediately. Don't do this book in a short time. Do a couple of pages, incorporate recognition into life, then a few more pages, etc. Goals are achieved very quickly.
on 14 December 2015
Great way to help children articulate their feelings and gives them a scale to help identify the level within that emotion
on 4 April 2013
Problem with this one was the packaging. I snipped off the chapter headings as I opened the parcel otherwise it was all
on 31 December 2013
100% happy WITH THIS BOOK. ITS VERY BASIC BUT I LIKE USING IT IT AND EASY TO PHOTOCOPY AND USE.