on 21 October 2014
I found this a fascinating insight into how women cope in prison. The humanity, compassion and dedication of the author shine through her descriptions of those she cared for. My only quibble was not being able to read Myra Hindley's letter on my kindle as it was too small and increasing the font size didn't work for that particular letter. The letters to Ms Kazubska from other women prisoners shows how they held her in high esteem, and what she must have meant to them.
This is a worthwhile read
on 14 April 2014
This is an impressive book, capturing some important messages. Joanna Kozubska packs it full of real life experiences of ordinary people and is so much more valuable because she does not come to the subject from the perspective of more notorious recent prisoners. It may be a factual record but I found it hard to put down and read it almost as a novel and finished it in three sessions.

I was surprised at the end to discover Joanna had only spent seven years in the prison service - the content is so rich I felt as if she had been a prison officer for decades. She tackles some important subjects about how we should treat prisoners and the importance of respect and sensitivity: prison is the punishment. That does not mean we treat prisoners cruelly or inhumanely - as she (and Churchill) reminds us it is a sign of civilisation how we treat prisoners.