on 21 April 2017
Fantastic and imaginative range of recipes. Although there are no pictures, each recipe includes a lovely personal introduction, I'll take that over glossy pics any day. I bought the Kindle edition, so I didn't encounter the print issues mentioned by others.
on 12 January 2016
There are some delicious recipes in this book. Celia seems to like spicy dishes which is perfect for me. There are recipes in this book that I would happily eat on a non fast day. Thai Salad Wraps with Chargrilled Tofu are delicious, healthy and easy to make.
on 17 January 2016
Simple but tasty recipes for your fasting days. Great ideas and step by step instructions for the 'idiot in the kitchen' like me.
on 5 April 2017
very useful, with loads of easy and tasty recipes.
on 25 June 2014
I have just borrowed this from the library and now intend to buy it. Why am I impressed? Firstly unlike most diet books the meals are not for 4 people [a bugbear of mine] they are for either one or two servings, if for two servings, you are advised if it can be Kept in the fridge or can be frozen. Even better she also advises how they can be multiplied up, and what to add to feed none dieters, or you could use these tips for meals on none fast days. All receipes are calorie counted and on non fast days you can have[if you wish] the larger portions which will still be low in calories and vitally the meals look and taste good.
on 15 March 2014
I have been a vegetarian for over 25 years. This has a good selection of recipes and those I have tried so far are quick, tasty and satisfying. Would recommend if you are doing the 5:2 but also if you just fancy including a few homemade vegetarian meals into your week. There are hints and tips how to use the recipes for non fasters. Don't be put off by lack of photos in the book, the food tastes great!
VINE VOICEon 27 February 2014
I was interested in this book as seems exactly what our family had wanted. We had started the 5:2 diet with the excellent "2 day diet" book by Michelle Harvie and Tony Howell, but this only has a few vegetarian recipes. Unfortunately the 5:2 vegetarian book does have some problems. Although there are over 100 recipes, some of them are pretty basic - including one for a microwaved baked potato! We also felt more hunger pangs with some of them as they can still be carb-heavy (baked potato being as prime example). The 2 day diet approach is to include much more protein in the form of eggs, nuts and tofu etc and this does seem to be more satisfying.

Have said that there are some excellent ideas in here and useful tips too. Favourites include the caponata "flavour bomb" and the use of sauerkraut and tinned artichokes as low calorie bulk foods.

So, not perfect but a useful addition to a 5:2 vegetarian kitchen.
on 26 February 2014
5:2 Vegetarian by Celia Brooks is a handy sized recipe book which clearly states the number of calories per recipe which helps immensely when catering for many who are concerned about the food they eat. I particularly love the neat and short section on looking after vegetables, pulses and fruits. If you're wondering what to do with the courgette lying in the fridge, you can just return to the book to discover different and unusual ideas.
My favourites are the Thai Salad Wraps with Chargrilled Tofu, Vegetable and Chickpea Tagine and Creamy Mushroom Caps. I've got my menu sorted!
on 14 February 2015
I don't think the recipes are fuss-free and they are not quick. They contain ingredients not easily obtainable or affordable. The book doesn't have page numbers therefore to re-find a recipe it's very difficult. I am very disappointed with the book.
on 10 February 2014
This book contains a lot of varied veggie recipes which is always good to see, and often lacking with a specialised diet, so I imagine for anyone following the 5:2 who is vegetarian this book would be a great asset.

The list of items needed, which is basically what you would find in the most simple of kitchens was surplus to requirement in my opinion, but the recipes themselves are varied and tempting and I like the options the author includes for non fasting days.

With photographs, this would be a five star book.

I read a free copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.