Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 February 2014
For the price was expecting a book with colour pictures so a bit surprised not to have them. The recipes sound nice although as yet i have not tried them and I am looking forward to that. But my main gripe with the book is the printing. It looks faded in places . but i think it is the style as it is consistent throughout the book with some type in a less bold font which is quite small anyway but the overall effect makes it look like the ink is running out and it makes it hard to read and follow. Sorry but for a cookery book i want goot size print that I dont have to hold close to see.
on 26 February 2014
5:2 Vegetarian by Celia Brooks is a handy sized recipe book which clearly states the number of calories per recipe which helps immensely when catering for many who are concerned about the food they eat. I particularly love the neat and short section on looking after vegetables, pulses and fruits. If you're wondering what to do with the courgette lying in the fridge, you can just return to the book to discover different and unusual ideas.
My favourites are the Thai Salad Wraps with Chargrilled Tofu, Vegetable and Chickpea Tagine and Creamy Mushroom Caps. I've got my menu sorted!
on 25 June 2014
I have just borrowed this from the library and now intend to buy it. Why am I impressed? Firstly unlike most diet books the meals are not for 4 people [a bugbear of mine] they are for either one or two servings, if for two servings, you are advised if it can be Kept in the fridge or can be frozen. Even better she also advises how they can be multiplied up, and what to add to feed none dieters, or you could use these tips for meals on none fast days. All receipes are calorie counted and on non fast days you can have[if you wish] the larger portions which will still be low in calories and vitally the meals look and taste good.
on 7 January 2014
I've been following Celia Brooks' 5:2 adventures on her blog and am happy to say I've lost over a stone already using her delicious recipe ideas. I'm thrilled her book is finally out. It's quite hard to find really good veggie recipes for the diet (not sure why? as Celia points out, the diet is really made for veggies) but here there are loads. More than anything I've found it quite simple to do and felt healthier and not at all deprived. It's really changed my mindset. Although there are no pictures in the book, it's easy to get a sense of the recipes as Celia describes them really well. And they all seem to be super simple to cook too. Buy this book, you certainly won't be disappointed!
on 15 March 2014
I have been a vegetarian for over 25 years. This has a good selection of recipes and those I have tried so far are quick, tasty and satisfying. Would recommend if you are doing the 5:2 but also if you just fancy including a few homemade vegetarian meals into your week. There are hints and tips how to use the recipes for non fasters. Don't be put off by lack of photos in the book, the food tastes great!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 January 2014
I’m not trying to lose weight or a vegetarian, but I am always keen to find quick, easy, fuss-free and healthy recipes – and this book is good for that.

On the slightly negative side, there are no pictures of any of the dishes: ok this isn’t essential, but does act as an inspiration for me. There’s also a bit of padding at the start e.g. a chapter telling us that ‘essential equipment’ includes things like scales, different sized saucepans, measuring cups/spoons and even ‘other equipment’ like scissors and paper towels! I’m not a cheffy type but how basic would your kitchen and knowledge have to be for this ‘advice’ to be useful?

That niggle aside, the recipes are often interesting and definitely quick and easy to prepare. I especially like that they have notes on what is gluten-free and dairy-free so that you can see this at a glance, and the index is by ingredient, always handy if you have something in the fridge and are looking for an idea of what to do with it.

If you were following the 5:2 diet, this has calorie and other nutritional counts but for ‘normal’ eaters, we can just increase the portion sizes or add rice/potatoes/bread etc.

So if the thought of broad bean and basil purée, hot & sour tofu bowl, or minted chickpea soup make you salivate, this would be a practical, healthy and easy-to-follow recipe book.

(This review is from an ARC courtesy of the publisher)
on 4 January 2014
I am delighted with this book. It is full of really tasty and easy recipes. Just what I was looking for to help me to attempt dieting. I am generally useless at diets but feel two days a week maybe just possible for me. Can't wait to get stuck in. 2014 will see me slimmer I fan feel it in my bones.
on 18 December 2015
I got this for healthy recipes, not fasting. Lots of variation - would not be perfect if avoiding beans/all grain/too much dairy/or paleo - but you can adapt/take out the grains/swap with salad/more veggies, etc. Good labelling if gluten free etc. I'm not on any 5/2 diet, just as a veggie wanted more quick lunch options. Her egg noodles are a favourite, as someone who dislikes eggs. I don't eat tofu - so those recipes are out- but it has been inspiring when it comes to eggs - like making very thin omelettes, using water, and filling up with tonnes of veg - non eggy tasting quick lunch- i add herbs to the egg to disguise eggy flavour even more. Brilliant, simple food, good combos I would not have thought of - useful day to day book if trying for more variation as lacto-ovo vegetarian.
on 2 July 2014
Great to add further veggies options to my 5:2 selection as it can get a bit boring. Worth investing in as there are some pretty good recipes and suggestions in the book away from the usual stuff - Enjoy!
on 26 February 2014
This is the best 5:2 book I've used (out of six). The recipes are interesting and tasty. This is a book for people who can cook, usually, but just need a bit of inspiration. I love it. And I lost a stone in 5 weeks ...