Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 April 2014
Please write fast Guy, we need more of these books to satisfy our cravings!

Half way through as I write.
on 20 July 2014
Yes I liked the book as much as his others and crave new Lucias, but also not pleased with the ending. Bit of a cheek, I felt. For those who want something of a similar nature - quietly funny, elegantly written and very English - might I recommend 'I Beatrice' by Gillian Ageros?
on 10 April 2015
Oh my God - I am in total shock.... What the hell- hallelujah is going on??? How egotistical of Mr Fraser-Sampson to assume he could just kill these beloved characters off.... And what on earth was his publisher thinking? And the only reason I gave 1 star for this is because I couldn't post my comment without one....

On the positive side, if there's one thing Lucia has taught us well, it's how to affect a blissful unawareness of being snubbed. I think we should adopt that stance here. Tilling has enough drama and intrigue in just one summer to fill lots more books so there's tremendous scope for someone else to take up the baton.

Perhaps Mr Holt would consider dipping his toes in the water again!
on 2 April 2014
More adventures in Tilling. It's clever and witty with some good comic moments and the characters are satisfactorily brought to life but surely, in the original E.F. Benson novels, things never became quite so vindictive. Riseholme and Tilling were extremely civilised little societies - this is the point - and the many rivalries were conducted with mutual enjoyment and gusto. Au Reservoir, in the latter part especially, lacks this lightness of touch. And as for the ending (no spoilers!), though it wasn't badly done, it just felt completely out of key with the spirit of Benson's series. A sad letdown.
on 16 May 2015
Some fun early on, but then turns very sour - avoid at all costs.
on 30 August 2014
Have appreciated being able to visit Tilling once again BUT...

The author appears to have forgotten that the characters are not his own. Too many liberties have been taken - especially with the ultimate destiny of our much loved friends.

I for one will try and erase the memory of the final chapter and hope to see Lucia rise up victorious once again.

This author mayhave tired of her but I certainly have not!
on 8 December 2014
I ordered this before I found out that Fraser-Sampson had the barefaced cheek to kill off another author's character (Lucia). I will not read it.
on 31 May 2015
Having read all previous Benson editions I really enjoyed Major Benny but was disappointed with this one. Much of it is excellent, no boring bridge detail and some excellent surprises, but Lucia is portrayed as being very direct in her put downs of Mapp whereas she is subtle. I missed Georgie's worries about his toupee and Diva lost her telegraph speech. Some technical errors didn't spoil it.
on 16 May 2014
Slthough it is much easier to copy characters alreaddy fully rounded and alive, Mr Fraser-Sampson has done Mapp and Lucia lovers a big favour. Whil keeping the tenor and atmopshere of the original books, he hads given us fresh scenarios to treasure.
I do hope he will feel he can continue? Time does not need to progress very fast. As far as I am concerned, Time can stand still in TIlling!
on 25 April 2014
Finally ended the Mapp & Lucia saga, very entertaining, tied up loose ends although I cried when I finished it.
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse