Customer reviews

on 5 March 2015
Fantastic little book. Simple in its explaining, profound in its impact and tremendously inspiring and encouraging. Have recommended to many.
on 6 April 2017
An excellent book, I've also purchased copies to give to friends as presents.
on 4 May 2014
This is the first book that I have read by Michael Reeves and I'm very impressed. I've read many books on Christian prayer, yet in just 48 pages the author cuts right through to the heart of this subject. If you find prayer difficult, or you feel guilty about "poor" prayer (or even a lack of prayer) then you must read this book.

Reeves also highlights the reality of Christian prayer with insights that I hadn't really grasped before. I owe Reeves a debt of gratitude because he clearly marks out the difference between how we normally view prayer and what Christian prayer really is. The understanding that Jesus is the Son of God makes a significance difference to how we pray.

Just read it! The book is so short that it is worth investing your time!
on 22 December 2014
This might be a slim little book but in no way is it short on content. You will come away from every brief chapter with plenty to ponder and encouragement to pray.
The author quotes the likes of Calvin and Luther; in the case of Luther, to show you that at times he too struggled to pray!

There is teaching here on praying on your own and with brothers and sisters in Christ. As to be expected from one who writes with such clarity and warmth on the Biblical doctrine of the Trinity, Michael Reeves doesn't neglect to show us how the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are involved in our prayer life.

I have found that reading a chapter before prayer has stimulated me to pray and expect that I will return to it again and again. Anything that encourages us to pray has to be welcomed, for as the author says, we all tend to be rubbish at it!
Yet how good it is to know that we can and must come to the Father through the Son, with the help of the Holy Spirit and that we're always assured of a welcome and of listening ear!
on 29 May 2014
It's a small book that will take you under an hour to read through. And it's cheap of course. But it really does pack quite a punch. It get's right at the heart of why prayer is so often a struggle and helps us to see prayer for what it is, especially in it's trinitarian context. Read this book to help you "enjoy your prayer life!"
on 13 May 2014
A superb book - convicting, humbling, challenging but hugely encouraging - I will be recommending this to others. There aren't many books that speak so immediately to my heart that I have to keep stopping reading to pray.
on 23 April 2014
How do you feel about reading a book on prayer? Part of me feels that’s the last thing I need: another excuse to get me off doing the one thing I seem to avoid: praying.

But when I dipped into this pocket-size offering by Michael Reeves, formerly of UCCF, now ‘theologian-at-large’ (a pretty cool title) at WEST, I was altogether refreshed and thankful for the privilege I have of speaking to my Father God. In short, I was eager to pray.

Reeves begins by laying his cards on the table early. He believes there is a prayerlessness prevalent in evangelical culture, and he wants that to change, and longs for this book to be something of a “tonic” to kick-start refreshed prayer lives.

Reeves’ diagnosis of the problem is interesting. He thinks one of the key reasons we go wrong is because we think of prayer as another “thing” to do, which inevitably leads us to go down the road of searching for ‘prayer techniques’. Instead Reeves holds up John Calvin’s definition of prayer as “the chief exercise of faith” (Institutes III, 20). If this definition is fair (and it’s one that Jonathan Edwards echoed), and Reeves comes back to it again and again, then consequently prayerlessness is actually faithlessness, or as Reeves puts it, “practical atheism”.

That said, Reeves is careful to say that it’s not that our prayer life dictates whether or not we’re really Christians. But our prayer life does reveal “how much you really want communion with God and how much you really depend on him.” It doesn’t determine our identity, but it does indicate how much of a “spiritual baby” we might be. Therefore, Reeves challenges, if you think you’re wonderful, take a look at your prayer life.

This might all sound a bit depressing, but Reeves knows where he’s going. Indeed, there are a few backhanded encouragements before we get there: firstly, we should expect prayer to be a struggle, for we’re creatures who are naturally lacking in faith; secondly, even someone like Martin Luther, whose legend often comes wrapped in hagiographical descriptions of mammoth prayer sessions, actually really struggled with prayerlessness. Prayerlessness is not a new problem, ultimately it’s a sinful human problem.

But that’s all well and good (or not, as the case may be), but are we simply being left to languish in our prayerlessness? Reeves’ ‘solution’, if I can call it that, is that we understand that if prayer is an expression of faith, the way to grow in it is to grow in faith. He cites Romans 10:17: “faith comes through hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ”. In other words, “faith – and so prayer – is birthed by the gospel”. As we set before ourselves Jesus Christ, then prayer will follow as the articulation of the Christian’s heart response.

So for the bulk of this short book that’s what Reeves seeks to do. When we wonder at Jesus, then we see the privilege of prayer. Part of that is seeing prayer as something Jesus did, and so loving the gospel means we “learn to enjoy what Jesus has always enjoyed”. Crucially and wonderfully this involves praying to God as our Father, for as Jesus teaches his disciples to pray “Our Father in Heaven”, he is simultaneously showing us the relationship He has always enjoyed whilst also sharing it with us. Reeves uses the startling phrase, “pray as if it were through Jesus’ mouth”, which seems a breathtaking way of describing the privilege we have of calling God Father.

Reeves then addresses the subject of when we pray, encouraging a mindset that expresses the privilege of prayer “at all times”. After all, the whole day is already God’s, so we don’t need to try and ‘fit’ God into each day. Reeves is not against set times of prayers and devotion, but he is certainly arguing for a perspective that sees all of life flowing out of our communion with our Father.

The later chapters quickly cover quite a bit of ground, touching on prayer as a sign of dependence (also about Christlikeness, for the Son was dependent on the Father), the precious role of the Holy Spirit in our prayers (“we can be real with our father, accepting our weakness, and simply stammer out our hearts”), God’s work to shape us in our prayer lives so we echo and share “God’s life and purpose”, as well as prayer as an evidence of unity. The lasting taste in the mouth is that praying to our Father God is a delight.

‘Enjoy your Prayer Life’ is worth getting your hands on. It’s definitely a ‘does-what-it-says-on-the-tin’ book. The bonus is that it’s also really short - many of the ‘chapters’ are only a couple of pages – but that means I was much more likely to read it, and it also meant I was more quickly left to actually pray.

[...]
on 23 July 2014
Found this a concise and challenging read on the issue of prayer, well pitched taking into account the human frailties that afflict us all in this area of Christian experience, yet resolute in applying it's corrective and always encouraging in its tone. It will leave you more stirred than crushed. Highly recommended, and for the price on your Kindle it's a must have.
on 19 January 2015
Extremely quick book to read, only took me 30 mins, yet has truly inspired me to see prayer differently and rightly, it's inspired me to pray in a way I haven't felt before. It's full of truth, and really opens your eyes to the reality of what prayer actually is all about.

Short, punchy, and a powerful book, and I highly recommend it!
on 27 August 2014
An excellent little book which encourages the reader to feel more comfortable in prayer. As chapters are short it can be used as a study book, reading one chapter at a time. Good for going back to time & again when feeling in need of encouragement when struggling in prayer.