Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 June 2017
Loved this book, its a breath of fresh air.
Written in a style of a deep conversation, the reader feels like they are intruding on a private conversation. However captivated by the twists and turns its a conversation you cannot leave. A book with witt, adventure, thought provoking statements and a depth to it unlike anything else. I recommend it as a gift for friends and particularly a gift for yourself.
on 18 March 2017
Fresh, original and absolutely unique. I haven't read anything which has made me laugh out loud so much for years.
on 10 January 2017
grabbed me from the very beginning, also very funny!
on 20 December 2016
A glorious celebration of a powerful woman. Esmerelda is a joy; adventurous, sexually liberated, fearless, razor toungued, magical, artistic, self assured and ballsy. She shows us what can be achieved by saying yes to everything life has to throw at you, even when it's hard to swallow. I loved reading this, I laughed, I cried, I was shocked, such an emotional rollercoaster. The stream-of-consciousness delivery made be feel like I was truly in Esmeralda's mind. A very intimate portrait of a very interesting woman. Esmerelda, I want to take you out for pints.
on 12 December 2016
As soon as you start this book you won't be able to put it down. Beautifully descriptive observant and heartwarming you won't want this story to stop.
on 12 December 2016
A laugh-out-loud funny and entertaining book. I enjoyed the stream of consciousness style that jumped about but build up a coherent image of a period in the heroine Esmerelda's life.
on 12 December 2016
I've read this book twice and fell in love with it both times. Beautifully written and made me look at life in such a different way. Gave me goosebumps and tears in my eyes throughout, highly recommend this book, it's completely amazing!
on 11 December 2016
I read this on the recommendation of a friend and I was, I have to say, a little disappointed. It's unapologetically unliterary and is written in the style of an overgrown and unruly blog rather than a real novel. I'm surprised it found a publisher, and I'm surprised that the publisher who took it on let it go in its current, untramelled state. It would have benefited from a good editing, if not a good proofreading.

Having said that, it's written in a style that may appeal to people who are used to reading blogs and the rantings of others on social media. The story – such as it is – is told in a stream-of-consciousness that blurs the lines between different epochs, forming an impressionist's interpretation of the events rather than a journalist's. It conjures up quite a compelling picture of those few years in the heroine's early adulthood where she is finding her feet, both professionally and sexually, and also accurately describes alternative life in her adopted city, Brighton.

I can't say I enjoyed reading this book – I felt somewhat sullied, contaminated, after I'd finished it – but it might appeal to young women, and men, of a certain age; particularly those who know Brighton or who find themselves, like Esmerelda, on the outside of the creative world, looking longingly in.
on 30 November 2016
I've never heard a voice like this before represented in mainstream media. I say voice. It's more like a scream into the face of the establishment and the power of patriarchy. But then the scream is not even really at them. Esmeralda isn't even bothered about them. She's just screaming because she's not scared to and she can. Such a powerful voice and so under-represented in the world at large it seems like weird shock to hear it.
on 24 November 2016
If you had a teenage daughter, you'd not let them hang out with Esmarelda. If it turned out your daughter was Esmarelda you'd be really proud. A beautiful journey of angst, triumph and wild abandon, written in pretty much the same way. I don't know what I was expecting from this book, but it wasn't this! Utter joy.