on 12 April 2017
The author uses an interesting device to separate each character by creating lists in keeping with their personalities. I found this slightly disconcerting to begin with, but it did help to clarify the "voice" that was relevant in that section. The title rather heralds the nature of the story and the logical conclusion, but the character developments that take place as the tale unfolds are well handled as are the contrasts between the daughters' upbringings. It is difficult to say too much without spoiling the progression of the story, but I'd recommend this thoughtful and thought-provoking book to anyone intrigued by the Nature v Nurture debate.
on 23 January 2017
I bought this book about 2 years ago because it was on offer, and have only just got round to reading it! I must admit I didn't really expect much as I had never heard of the author.
But, wow, how wrong could a person be. This book was fabulous. An unusual story and exceptionally well written! This women will go far. Her empathy and insights were profound, and her characters believable. Looking forward to reading her other books. Highly recommend!!
on 6 March 2018
This is one of those amazing books that leave lasting memories and images. The story of 3 women whose lives are skilfully connected by the author buries you in the smell, taste and feeling of India and its culture. Ms D'Silva puts you firmly into the mind of each character. I don't want to give any of the plot away because there are are surprises on every page but this is not one of those books where the only enjoyment comes from discovering the last few pages. What an amazing writer!
on 27 March 2017
This book was a delight to read. I read it in two days because I wanted devour every page of it rather than rushing to find the end of the story. The author has a very good command of English, with flowery words. The plot of the story is excellent. This is my first book of Renita D'Silvas and I look forward to read more of hers. Highly recommended.
on 11 February 2015
The Forgotten Daughter is one of those books which is written in different voices. Obviously the voice of Nisha, but also a girl called Devi and a woman called Shilpa. The three woman are (as you would expect) linked, but initially the reader does not know why.

I’m not sure I liked the three narrator part of this. Whilst I enjoyed reading each character, and there were times when one character’s story would take over another’s in my mind it did mean that the reader knew more, and I think that made the emotions pack less of a punch at times. However it did more of a context which made the story more interesting, and meant you could have up to three cliffhangers at a time.

It was a fairly easy read, and exciting enough for me to wan to read it. However it was fairly predictable and at times a little far fetched
on 17 June 2014
I enjoyed this book very much! The story of 3 women and their lives. One of them is living in England and her parents are both killed in a car crash. She is in her early twenties and had no idea that she was adopted.. She then decides to find her biological family which brings her to India and the reader with her!. The descriptions of India has transport you there in you mind. You can smell the spices, the coconut and the flowers of India. I just got lost in the Authors descriptions and the 3 womens stories in the background. They each with their own story and their own paragraph. Just brilliant!. When you start the book just memorize each name and its very easy to follow. Loved every bit of it and it only cost a couple Euros. One of the women was a fantastic cook and was able to make wonderful spicy dishes out of the local produce as she was very poor. When it comes to her chapter she has a lovely recipe at the beginning. I intend to try each one of them as I thought this was a lovely touch. Read and enjoy!
on 9 May 2018
Beautifully written, if a little overly descriptive at times (ie I’m not sure I know anyone who would describe the world around them quite so eloquently when writing a letter or indeed a diary entry). However if you can suspend belief for that part it’s a sweet read with a satisfying if somewhat predictable ending
on 21 April 2018
This year I fulfilled a dream to go to India. All the sights, the sounds, the smells, the culture are captured in these books. Love, loss, redemption and a happy ending. Read and weep for joy with Shilpa, Devi and Nini. Easy to read and beautifully written. I plan to read every book by this author.
on 26 June 2017
Wonderfully written, with engaging characters and a beautiful sense of place and time throughout. I enjoyed the three different narrative strands and the way their stories came together towards the end. The writing is rich and evocative - I will definitely be reading more of her books.
on 22 March 2014
The story starts with Nisha, an Indian girl brought up in the UK. After her parent die in a car crash, she learns she is adopted. She then goes on a quest to find why her birth parents gave her away. The story then introduces two other women ( I won't spoil the surprise by saying who they are), and we learn about their lives and thoughts and feelings, through them writing in their diaries.
The character who resonated with me most, was Shilpa. I sobbed through the last few chapters, as her life and choices, and the depth of her love for her children is told in heart wrenching detail. She is a strong woman who has to face choices, and puts up with the disdain of her daughter, before making the ultimate sacrifice. Her character stayed with me long after I finished reading the book and am still thinking of all she had to endure. This is an emotional read, but you will love Shilpa's character and empathise with her. A definite must read.