on 3 June 2017
I really am pleased with this book. The contents are exquisite, although short but gets the point across.

The only thing I don't like is the false advertisement, the book isn't hardback really. It's paperback, while hardback is just a cover to place the book in. Convenient sure, but I was hoping for the book to be full hardback.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 June 2017
Good book to beginners.
on 17 September 2013
Rather disappointing - I had hoped to find out more about composition, shadows and depth perception. Nothing new here and very sparsely covered. Except anatomy, taken from known sources and re-exploited over 50 pages. Lots of examples from artists- which, lets face it, is not what the book was suppossed to be about
on 7 September 2013
This book is not by any means a tutorial book, where you `parrot' the instructor word for word and end up with an exact copy of an image created exactly for the book. No, its an informative book, created to give you as they put it `strong guidelines' and not hard and fast rules to stick to, after all its art, there aren't any rules in art. The book is split into chapters: Color and Light, Composition, Perspective, Anatomy, Reference Galleries and a final Art gallery with showcase of some stunning work. I found each chapter contained good information teaching or reminding me what I should be doing to achieve a certain color palette for example and how to use those colors with one another, either in a broad range or a simple one for strong images and so on. The information comes across clear and concise. I know some people will want a more detailed description in the chapters but this book is designed with a general approach in mind, so those requiring more knowledge in certain areas I feel would benefit from more specialist books in the parts they feel are lacking.
Whether you are a seasoned professional 3d artist like myself or even a hobbyist we can sometimes forget the fundamentals of art simply because our chosen 3d softwares can and will help eliminate some of the potential problems in setting up an image or shot. What I'm saying is we take so much for granted in aspects of 3d that we tend to forget the fundamentals of our art that actually lay within 2d/traditional art, where all the key elements such as light, shade, form and colour exist for us to take advantage of. That's where this book comes in. It takes you back to the basics of art. So turn off the computer, you don't need it, get back to basics!
HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 2 September 2013
Art Fundamentals looks at the elements that contribute to a successful piece of art.

The fundamentals covered in the book includes light and colour, composition, perspective and depth, and anatomy.

It's written by several guest artists, among them Gilles Beloeil (Assassin's Creed), Andrei Riabovitchev (Harry Potter films), Roberto F. Castro and Matt Smith. The artists provide their own examples and commentary.

There are whole books written specifically for each of those subjects mentioned earlier. Having four in a book, I felt that the depth of coverage is sacrificed at times. So do not expect in-depth complete coverage on each subject. Think of this as a book of tips rather than a detailed practice-along instructional book.

The chapter on light and colour has 27 pages only. It's brief considering it's a huge subject - James Gurney wrote over 200 pages on the same subject in his book Color and Light. Here Gilles Beloeil uses his Assassin's Creed concept art as examples and talks about the fundamentals of lighting.

The next chapter on composition deals with the indispensable golden ratio. There are many useful composition diagrams and example paintings that highlight the importance of strong composition. The concepts are easy to grasp and the subject is sufficiently covered.

Next is perspective and depth. There are basics of 1,2 & 3-point perspectives, and vanishing points of course. What's missing are the rational behind using the different point perspectives and the placement of viewpoint positions. Coverage of depth is too brief. I would definitely recommend a dedicated book on learning perspective instead.

The chapter on anatomy has 76 pages. Emphasis is on muscle form of the body and there are many beautiful detailed illustrations of muscles of the torso, arms and leg. Other parts like head, nose, ears, expressions are briefly covered. There's mention of posing but not much.

The last two chapters are sizable galleries with accompanying commentary discussing each image. The first of the two talks about the paintings with attention to the art fundamentals covered in the book. The last chapter has contributing artists talk about their own artworks, specifically the concept behind. The work featured are contemporary paintings.

This book has useful tips and insights. But because of the limited space, each subject somewhat feels incomplete. Personally, I prefer books dedicated to single subject or aspect of drawing (I've listed some of my favourites in the comment section below).

I'll recommend this book to beginners, probably as a supplement to what you've already learned.

(There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.)
22 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 September 2013
While this book might provide some useful insights and instruction for novice artists or professionals who wish to have a flashy book on their shelf, it is a little bit disappointing. First half of the book is truly exceptional, well designed and presented instruction that covers the fundamental elements of painting. The second half is filled with reference images, and that's where the problem lies. These reference images are freely available online and in other 3dTotal publications; and carry no instructional value. I personally have seen some of these images countless times before and see them as waste of expensive paper, as if the authors had a minimum page requirement and weren't sure what to fill the space with. To conclude, it's a great book, however it's overpriced and lacks depth towards the second half, making it a good starting point but not a serious instruction reference for professionals. It will look good on the shelf though. If one is serious about polishing up their fundamentals there are numerous other books available that cover these elements in depth. Colour and Light by James Gurney and Perspective Made Easy by Ernest Norling, to name just a couple of examples.
on 25 October 2013
This is my first time reviewing a product and I'm not what you would call articulate in the slightest but thought I thought I'd give my two cents.

First of all I was sent this book as a gift however I'm not out to lead anyone on and always give an honest opinion, especially as Art is an area I'm passionate about. I find Digital and Traditional aspects of art very appealing and often merge the two myself through my own art practice. I lack more of an understanding of the Digital aspect than the Traditional so naturally found the former a hell of a lot more informative. 2D and 3D art go hand in hand though as the techniques used are similar when creating artwork I find, so it's nice to be able to refer back to each sections.

I noticed a few folks mention that the added extras of the popular artwork at the back wasn't their cup of tea however I thought it was a great idea! I found it incredibly enjoyable discovering works by artists I had never heard or seen before. You can still learn from others through inspiration so I don't feel as if the pages have been wasted as someone stated previously.

As it's set out in quite a basic format I reckon those studying would really benefit by giving this a go.
on 26 October 2013
When creating artwork from scratch it can sometimes be a little daunting staring at a blank screen, wondering where to start, maybe you're lacking that inspiration or maybe you're still learning the basics of digital art and you're wishing to expand on it further, well then Art Fundamentals is the book you need!

As the name says it literally covers everything fundamental you need to know when creating your own digital artworks, this book takes you back to basics and showcases the fundamental knowledge of conceptual designs, conventions and theory every artist needs to consider when creating art.

With a clear understanding of these elements and insightful industry based advice & techniques from artists who've worked on some of the biggest and best video games & films such as Assassin's Creed & the Harry Potter series, this will encourage novice artists & refresh seasoned artists alike.

As with all 3D Total Published books this is a beautiful production, with glossy pages which make it a joy to read, it'll make a gorgeous art book for anyone's coffee table and an invaluable reference & source of inspiration for any artist across the globe.... don't delay, buy today!
on 30 March 2014
This book delves into the principles of art ranging from lighting to compositing amongst others. The explanations of each of its subjects are clear and concise. I particularly enjoyed the second half which is packed full of inspirational imagery and has explanations on how they were created. This book is a great point of reference and I would recommend it to artists of all skill levels and disciplines alike.
on 18 October 2013
When Art Fundamentals arrived, I was excited to delve into the pages and absorb a wealth of new knowledge while continuing my review and education of those key fundamentals we've come to appreciate. As a novice artist, I'm generally satisfied with all the information I get my hands on... so first and foremost, Art Fundamentals doesn't disappoint. I tore open the box, gazing at 272 enticing pages worth of information like candy to a sugar-free diet. In fact, as I further my reading, it's quickly becoming a highly valued go-to guide for my newer artwork. An exceptional book designed for artists at any level in their careers, Art Fundamentals offers a clear and concise look into color, light, composition, anatomy, perspective and depth. It's an inspiring reference, packed with a broad range of basic elements and insightful techniques. Light and color... lather, rinse, repeat.